Page 1 of 2
Chicken Stew with Ginseng ("Sam Gye Tang" or "Sam Gae Tang")
This chicken and ginseng dish is a very popular dish in Korea that traditionallly eaten on the hottest summer days. Sam gye tang, particularly its ginseng proponent, is revered as a medicinal dish that induces sweating, which “detoxifies” you, and ultimately rejuvenates you. This is a dish that shows the recipient a lot of caring–not only can you serve it on a hot summer day, you can serve it to someone who is feeling under the weather. In fact, it originated out of royal and upper class kitchens, before precious ginseng became widely available. This dish is very straightforward and simple to make.
1 cornish hen or small chicken is fine
3-4 roots of ginseng*
4-5 chestnuts ("bam")*
6-7 red dates("dae choo")*
1/3 cup sweet rice*, washed and drained
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 inch piece ginger, peeled
* You can purchase "Sam Gye Tang Package" contains all 4 main ingredients in our ginseng shop.
Step 1: Clean the chicken inside and out.
Step 2: Trim any visible fat as much as possible.
Step 3: Wash rice, ginseng, chestnut and red dates.
Step 4: Stuff inside the chicken with rice and seal.
Step 5: In a heavy pot, add chicken, ginsengs, red dates, chestnuts, garlics and ginger.
Step 6: Pour water to cover the chicken.
Step 7: Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer.
Step 8: Cook about 2-3 hours until the bones fall apart. Skim out the fat on top occasionally.
Serve with salt and pepper.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ginseng Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Makes 3 - 4 dozen cookies
- 1 pkg. (18 1/ 4 oz) Devils Food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) peanut butter chips
- 1/2 to 1 C chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. ginseng powder
- Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and ginseng. Batter will be stiff.
- Stir in chips.
- Roll into 1” balls.
- Place onto lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly.
- Bake 9-11 minutes.
- Cool one minute. Put on wire rack.
American Ginseng Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins.
- 3 American Ginseng Tea bags or 1-2 tbsp of American Ginseng Powder
- 2 soft medium bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Allow contents of 3 tea bags (approximately 1 tbsp) to soak in 3 tbsp hot water for 15 minutes.
- Mix bananas, eggs, sugar, oil, and ginseng (and water) until well blended.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to banana mixture and mix well.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 15 minutes.