2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: SHOW YOUR TOOL

SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #11997

• BeastMaster
  • BeastMaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Get Rich Growing 'Seng in Your Own Woods !
Will you guys post pics of your digging tools ? I'm 6'3\" and 235 lbs. All that up and down squat thrusting wears me out. That along with the heat and spider webs make me wanna go home pretty quick (whine).

Anyway, my little trapping spade is too small for this dry soil. I need to find a better mouse trap. I broke/bent the handle beyond repair. Need a new digger.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12010

BeastMaster,

I dig seng with a long handle tool.

The head is quite old I think, Billy has one just like mine and he said he thinks they were made back in the 40's.

Mine has a 36\" hickory handle in it.

I love it - works great for digging seng - also helps beat back the weeds, test for snakes over logs or ledges, pull yourself up steep places, walking stick, etc.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12014

It's light but strong !

Below is a youtube vid showing it in action - digging up a lil 4 prong I found last year.

When digging seng with long handle hoe tool like that - I like to dig a circle around where the stem goes in the ground, and make that circle about as big around as the top is. Just break up the ground good then I go in and take out the root with my hands/fingers.

Hardly ever damage one that way.

TNhunter

www.youtube.com/yttnhunter#p/u/16/w7ttISMmG18
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12016

Here's what I use to dig. http://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON8155/ontario-wwii-m3-trench-knife-6-9-16-inch
Not a very Long Handle but it works.Serves a dual Purpose Digging and Self defense.I also Carry a Ruger MkI just in case of a Bear Attack.there's some pretty mean Boars Around these parts.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12020

• BeastMaster
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Basically, you fellers are totin' a lighter weight mattock it looks like.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12031

BM

I use a 1.3/4 wide yo-ho trapping shovel.works great.I just keep it sharp with a file.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12049

BM

Here is what I use, it is a small heavy duty maddox head. I put the hoe end in my press and flattened it out a bit. It is a little more root friendly when digging in the standing position. In my neck of the woods the root cutter end is a big help, seems like all the ole big ones find a way to get deep under roots.......total wieght is 4lbs 10oz.

SengNveins
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12052

This is what we have always used. I take a normal strong garden hoe and cut down the digging part to a smaller shape. Serves a few purposes: 1. walking stick 2. snake poker 3. digger 4. can hook things to help climb up a hill. Big advantage is its very light weight. I'll admit its not the most aggressive digger like these pictured so far, but very easy to carry and its a walking stick.
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12053

Here is what the head looks like. We call them our Seng sticks or \"staffs\" for their magical powers that help find big patches. We have to get \"knighted\" by Dads once he finds us worthy enough to be in the same Seng hunting category as him. He claims to be a Master. I guess about 50 yrs of digging gets you that title
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12054

• BeastMaster
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That thing would just bounce off the hard clay here. But,,,that means you're in better seng territory if you can use it easily.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Who's Online

We have 546 guests and no members online

Login