2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots).

11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12107

Hey Guys,

I have been out tromping the hillsides here today and did not find a whole lot but did find some really nice roots.

I hunted the spot that I scouted 3-4 weeks ago and marked 80+ plants with my GPS.

Today - sad to say - I found less than half of those still surviving.

We still have had no rain and it's really bad here. I think our season is going to be a short one this year.

I tell you what that GPS made a difference in my hunt today too.

Some of the plants I marked 3-4 weeks ago looked like this today...

I remembered there being two real nice ones there. I thought it was two 4 prongs but it was actually one 4 prong, and two 3 prongs coming up right side by side.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12108

Here is what it looked like after digging.

Those two 3 prong tops were commin off the same root.

This was the first of two double tops I found today.

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12109

Below is the location of a couple more nice plants that I marked previously. Their tops had been eaten too.

If it was not for marking them with my GPS - would not have found them again today.

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12110

Here is a couple pics showing both double top roots after cleaning them up a little.

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12111

Both of those weighted in at a little over 1 oz.
Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12112

Here is that other double top after I had just dug it up.

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12113

Most of the seng I found today was looking really stressed out.

I found big patches of bainberry just standing dead brown now. Even saw poison ivy that was all curled up and near dead.
Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12114

I did find some on a north facing hillside that was doing fairly well.

Here is one nice little patch.

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12115

And last pic for the day...

I always like to look thru the root pile and pick out some with nice long curls. Gotta appreciate those.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12116

TNhunter

Congrats.....Good looking old roots !

I have found alot of the tops have been eaten off in my area as well. Makes it mighty tough to spot I'll say....I have threatened to saddle up one of the Ginseng eating deer and get him real hungry and let him lead me to the Seng they seem to find it pretty good!

SengNveins

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 165 guests and no members online

Login