2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A couple of good ones

A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12638

The rain finally let up a little around 10 am and I headed out. The first spot I tried was a total bust and really bummed me out. From the looks of it several people went through that hollow and dug everything but a few one prongs. There was a lot of goldenseal in there and a few scattered seng plants, but basically all of its gone. Looked like wild hogs had rooted up huge patches of ground. I guess it's another spot I've got to retire.
After spending all of 30 minutes in that woods I backed out and went to try another spot. Found some good ones in there, but could have used a chain saw to get several of them out of the ground. I sometimes use a tool similar to what Billy and TNhunter use and had it with me, but it was useless on several of these ones. I always have the trusty old flathead with me for just such emergencies. I ended up with 7 ounces today, but found a couple of good ones. One that I would classify as an Ohio Monster. It weighed 1.1 ounces. I'm not saying you can't find bigger ones in Ohio, but It's right up there with some of the biggest ones I've found.

That other one weighed in at .6 ounces which is also pretty decent for these parts.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12639

5prong

Good looking roots.....My old mattock head has the root cutter on it for those deep root runners.....Its amazing how much excavating a man can do when he thinks a root is playing hard to get!

SengNveins

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12642

SNV - Thanks, I've cut a lot of roots with my Mattock as well, but some of these were in cris-crossed messes of 3,4, and 5\" diameter roots as well as smaller ones.

That biggest root came from a decent, but not huge 3prong top and the smaller one in the pic came from a really nice 4prong top. One of those ones that you don't notice at first because it is standing too tall.

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12644

Good ones 5!

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12645

5prong - Nice.

I don't find many around here that get over that 1 ounce range either and when I do they are to be appreciated.

I took my 9 year old boy squirrel hunting this evening back behind the house. Shot 5 times, no squirrels to bring home though.

He had fun though and that's the main thing.

As I was slipping around the hillside I was keeping an eye out for seng even though I know ours is gone up high on the hill. Was hoping to find one of those big ones that you sometimes find much higher on the hill than you would expect - but no such luck.

Hope you keep on finding some good ones and do post those pics.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12646

good find 5,nice roots anywhere..

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12647

Nice roots 5.
Man I would have loved to see that spot before the other people went through before you got in there. Too bad they took everything in site and did not leave the little ones to grow.

I have hunted so many places back in the day all the way between Cambridge and Newark and from up North around Fallsburg down South to Crooksville and even south East to Athens Ohio. I haven't hunted those areas in 25 years but some areas has some of the best seng I have ever seen.

I am sure there are many great spots left but I just do not have permission anymore to hunt those areas as I have lost my contacts.

My brother is a deer hunter and knows so many people that let him hunt their woods for Deer, Turkey etc. I might have my brother talk to some people to see if I can get permission to hunt ginseng in some of those woods this coming weekend North East of Zanesville.

If I can get permission you want to hit a new spot with me Saturday Morning. I can't promise we would find anything but its always fun to hit a new woods. Never know if it has been dug already. It could be a bust or it could be good.

My Wife has a honey do list for me this weekend but the woods are calling me.
Latt

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12660

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Excellent roots bro I am very glad that you got to find some good ones.Billy.

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12665

Very nice old roots. They got some real nice rings on them. Very good mature roots. Good luck to you on finding some more this year.

Re:A couple of good ones 12 years 7 months ago #12677

Latt, I'd love to go Check out a new spot with you. If you can get something lined up just give me a call and let me know. My number is 740-260-3084. The best time to reach me would be after 7 pm.

Latt wrote:

Nice roots 5.
Man I would have loved to see that spot before the other people went through before you got in there. Too bad they took everything in site and did not leave the little ones to grow.

I have hunted so many places back in the day all the way between Cambridge and Newark and from up North around Fallsburg down South to Crooksville and even south East to Athens Ohio. I haven't hunted those areas in 25 years but some areas has some of the best seng I have ever seen.

I am sure there are many great spots left but I just do not have permission anymore to hunt those areas as I have lost my contacts.

My brother is a deer hunter and knows so many people that let him hunt their woods for Deer, Turkey etc. I might have my brother talk to some people to see if I can get permission to hunt ginseng in some of those woods this coming weekend North East of Zanesville.

If I can get permission you want to hit a new spot with me Saturday Morning. I can't promise we would find anything but its always fun to hit a new woods. Never know if it has been dug already. It could be a bust or it could be good.

My Wife has a honey do list for me this weekend but the woods are calling me.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 380 guests and no members online

Login