2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My best day in a while

Re:My best day in a while 12 years 6 months ago #12707

Bryan,
All you have to do is pick an area you want to hunt seng in and drill down on the area with Google Earth and hit print. It helps you see good areas the greener the better. Then go to the property owner and ask if you can hunt that holler, hill or mountain. Chances are it will be hard to locate the owner and they will probably tell you thanks for asking first but will tell you no. But sometimes they will saw OK. If they say OK get written permission.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My best day in a while 12 years 6 months ago #12713

Hunter - From what I can see in the pics you don't have anything to worry about. It does look like a couple may be slick roots, but for the most part they show pretty decent wild characteristics with decent stress rings and a good number of neck scars. By slick roots I mean very smooth and white. The 5th picture down (the one with 2 main roots hanging down) is an example. But if you've only got a few and sell with the rest of your more normal sized wild roots it shouldn't be a problem.

Hunter wrote:

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I was stoked yesterday. I sent a picture of them to a friend and he stopped by last night. He said \"dont' be surprised if you don't get top dollar for those roots.\" I asked why and he said \"cause they are so big and they'll think you grew em in a pot.\" I told him that I didn't and that every single one came from a briar patch within a 50 yard radius of each other 3 miles deep in bla bla. I told him about the soil and how good it looked and he said \"they won't care they are just to big\". So I counted growth rings on one of the biggest and stopped at 60. I said \" don't you think that will help and he said maybe. Then he started saying that some were \"carrot\" looking and they might not even take them. I agree there are 1 or 2 big ones that are long and slinder but, they have plenty of growth rings as well. I'm between a rock and hard place. I don't want these big roots to not fetch the top dollar that I think they should but, I'm afraid to put them in my untested seed patch and they die. I guess I'll just see what my buyer says this year and how my seed bed makes it through the summer next year and go from there. If they don't fetch top dollar and the bed does ok I'll dig the big ones and use them as seed stock. If the bed doesn't work out and they don't fetch top dollar I'll not be digging those big babies anymore and just leave em where they are. What do you guys think? Is there such a thing as sang being TO big for sellers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 653 guests and no members online

Login