2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Tnhunter

Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12959

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Trev I got something today that a friend of mine that digs ginseng brought me.I have been asking the boys all if they found one to bring it to me and make sure that they kept the root seperate.

Well today that happened.

You know how we like to experiment and know things about wild ginseng,well the curiosity of this has been bugging me for 2 or 3 years now,,, !!! Just call me Cat LoL !!!

Someone told me that just because a 5 prong was a 5 prong one season that it didnt mean that it would be the next season and I remember conversation pertaining to that thought on a old post hear on the site some time back.

Well i just dont know about that,why wouldnt it ?

Now im not saying that it will either but I do want to know the fact of it.

The root weighs close to 2 ounces and had a top over 30 inches the berry pod was awsome he said and the steam from the middle stuck up 10 inches or more he said above the leaves and with a root curl as big as this one has I believe him,and besides that I know him and he is ohnest anyway.

I want you to replant this root like you did those 5 last season because I just know you will marvel at the size of this top and the seed pod :)

Also I know that you will take car of it and as long as the good Lord lets us live I can see the top once in awhile and we can settle this debate also and see for ourselves if this 5 prong will be or will not be a 5 prong again.

What do you think ? Do you want to experiment with it & see ?

Billy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12960

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Look at that Curl Trev it is fat as a dime or more

Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12961

Billy - that's some root!

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12967

Thats a mighty small table you got there Billy... Lol

Great root! I'm anxious to see what it produces in the years to come.

On a side note, today I was digging a nice 4 prong and felt another root in the ground next to it.. the only other top near it was a 2 prong with a nice pod of berries. I figured it was a dormant root and when I worked it out of the ground, it was attached to the 2 prong top but had been eaten away on one side long enough ago to have healed up. The root was nearly as big as the 4 prong root. Not the first one I've found damaged and healed.

My thinking is that a damaged or stressed root will send up a smaller top for a few years until it heals up and gets its strength back... amazing plants!

Randy

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12973

Hey Billy and TNhunter,

I just had to tell you about a plant I had 30 years ago.

It came up one year a 6 prong. It had 5 nice well formed prongs and the other prong a small 3 leaf. That spring was a warm perfect season. I was like a proud parent!

Well I couldn't hardly wait that winter to see it again the next spring. To my dismay it came up only as a nice big healthy 3 prong.

I had to dig up everything that year because I moved farther out in the mountains so I don't know what it may have been the next year.

rootman

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12991

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
RSkid :) thas a stool chair lol I was rolling when i read that ;)

RSkid wrote:

Thats a mighty small table you got there Billy... Lol

Great root! I'm anxious to see what it produces in the years to come.

On a side note, today I was digging a nice 4 prong and felt another root in the ground next to it.. the only other top near it was a 2 prong with a nice pod of berries. I figured it was a dormant root and when I worked it out of the ground, it was attached to the 2 prong top but had been eaten away on one side long enough ago to have healed up. The root was nearly as big as the 4 prong root. Not the first one I've found damaged and healed.

My thinking is that a damaged or stressed root will send up a smaller top for a few years until it heals up and gets its strength back... amazing plants!

Randy

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12992

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
rootman thanks for that information that is exactly what i am talking about thats sure interesting.

rootman wrote:

Hey Billy and TNhunter,

I just had to tell you about a plant I had 30 years ago.

It came up one year a 6 prong. It had 5 nice well formed prongs and the other prong a small 3 leaf. That spring was a warm perfect season. I was like a proud parent!

Well I couldn't hardly wait that winter to see it again the next spring. To my dismay it came up only as a nice big healthy 3 prong.

I had to dig up everything that year because I moved farther out in the mountains so I don't know what it may have been the next year.

rootman

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #12993

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Thank man

Whitjr wrote:

Billy - that's some root!

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13008

Billy,

I would love to help you out with that experiment !

I'm thinking of a spot where there is a nice bunch of maidenhair fern on one of my hillsides here and I think I would treat that root real special. Like get a 5 gal bucket full of that rock chip bluff soil and fix up a special place just for it.

I would love to see what it does for years to come and plant those berries here on my place.

If you are sure you don't want to keep it for yourself - I will be glad to take it and will sure do my best to plant it right and take real good care of it and share pics here often.

I think you still have my address and email so just let me know.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13034

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I am positive that I want me and you to do this experiment working together I already realy like the way you have thought of a spot and have it designed already in your mind :)

This is a very fun adventure.....In a few years we can see also what some of the seed from it does Trev,wonder if these odd roots create certian groups,I know thats somewhat a distant thought but owell,,I am going to send the root right over to you and we will see what happens in time the good Lords will.

Trev if I share the root with you,I feel that it is ours and not just mine and yours but a fun project for all of our friends here as well to share in.I know we will all be anxious to see photos of that top

My friend said that the top and berrie pod was just unreal :)

I have looked and I have misplaced your mailing adress if you dont mind send me that again in a e-mail and I will get the root right over.I have it in some great soil...

Billy.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Who's Online

We have 382 guests and no members online

Login