2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Western NC diggers?

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14221

here in Burke it's about 50/50 . In the lower parts of the swags next to the water i've been finding alot still green with berry's. but the higher up you go, it's been yellow or just berry sticks. My buddy had kidney stones so I went by myself friday and saturday, dug close to 5 lbs. Gonna try to hit 226 next to the county line wednesday (5th) after work. I found a place i swear that hasn't been dug in over 40+ years, there has been some MONSTER roots coming off the swags. Been finding most of it walking the deer trails,,, go figure

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14238

It's pretty much dead in Macon county. I'm planning on going out Thursday afternoon if I can and run some ridge lines. 50 lbs?!?! I was happy to get 2 1/2 dry! However, a bunch of folks dig illegally here, starting in May, and they dig every 3-leaf they can find:angry: so there's less and less every year:(

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14239

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yeah, same thing over here in Swain county the indians, methheads, general worthless people start digging as soon as it comes up in May. I believe Swain county and western Nc in general has some of the laziest, worthless people on the face of the earth. I swear I dont know who I hate more, these worthless people or the out of state people who come in with there gated communities and try to tell us locals what we can and cannot do. Its hard to even park on the roadside anymore without getting the law called on you. But then again if you have a Flordia tag on your vehicle you can pretty well do what you please. This place has really gone downhill the past 10 years. Thats why I hope and pray this economy finally puts an end to the housing developement industry around here!

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14248

Works been slow for us this year, so we've hit the woods a lot. All 50/bs of ours has come since sept 1.

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14250

went yesterday up around little savannah near the jackson macon county line and dug about 1 1/2 lbs but its lookin pretty rough most were yellow the smaller plants were completley gone the only green i saw was on the big hardy 3 and 4 prongs. my next chance to go will be this weekend, ill see what it looks like then but its about time to hang it up in the western mountains.

david- i hear ya man i am from the swain county area and i feel the same way. there are still some good people over there but that place has definately changed.

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14308

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I dug mainly in rich dark hollows last weekend. Most ginseng was still semi green but the exposed and open spots most plants were yellow or just the stem remain. Iam planning on a good trip sunday. Aera has alot of saw briars and the sang should still be up and visible inside the thickets. I would say we have at least 2 more weeks of digging. Poplar leaves are really coming down but then again it really doesnt effect the big plants. They will be there at least the stems until a heavy snow flattens them this winter. I have noticed more snakes out this week than any other time this entire year. Anyone else notice snakes on the roads this week?

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 6 months ago #14555

I didnt go today due to the weather but my buddy went in sylva and told me that most of the small plants were yellow and knocked over and the bigger plants were turning yellow... the worst part about seng season is when its ending

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 3 months ago #16511

Poachers wiped me out in Macon County this year. Projected 4 lbs dried.

They hit the week before the season opener.

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 3 months ago #16512

That sucks. Hope they get busted someday!!
Latt

Re:Western NC diggers? 12 years 3 months ago #16527

yea latt its not fair to the ones who depends on this... who goes out and digs their butts off to make a decent living... i start sept 1 i still got fifty pounds to sell if the price is right

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 712 guests and no members online

Login