2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Deer Hunting

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15725

Wow! They don't grow that big here in NC!

Another deer butchering tip for you guys: I use a sawsall to split the pelvis and trim legs with. A cordless one works very well, and saves the time. Started doing this 3 years ago; big improvemnt ove any sort of hand saw.

How many of you guys do your own butchering?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15735

great deer classic..have to have a mule deer form for that brute.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15739

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Very Nice Classicfur indeed a true giant white tail awsome :)

classicfur wrote:

Hey Guys

Just wanted to share a photo of a huge buck that came into my taxidermy shop last week.

This deer shot by Larry Violett Jr weighed 281 lbs field dressed. He told me that at the meat cutters, they pulled the hide off, cut the head off and removed the legs at the knees and it still weighed 232 lbs.

I usually have about 6-8 every year that weigh between 200 and 220, but this is by far the largest deer that has come into my shop.

Larry is 6'3\" tall and said they had to tie the back legs up to the antlers to get the feet off the ground for weighing it.

It's only a 8 pointer, but heavy mass.

classicfur

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15744

That's a true Maine brute Classic! How has the seasons go over there so far? Numbers seem to be off over here in Vt. The eastern half of vt is really hurting for deer from what I here. We did have a nice 198lb 8pt shot in town.

I've got a doe here and one in NY. Off to Illinois for smoke pole hunt Monday, can't wait!

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15745

Quick story on my NY doe. I had two small bucks come by my stand on the corner of this fallow field I was set up on. An hour later the doe, 27 uards and I dimed her. She ran awy another 30 yards or so and stood there. A 5pt that had been trailing her came into view. The doe tipped over and crashed! The buck, not sure what happend ran back to where he came from. Another spike came in from the opposite direction to see what was going on and a small half rack came in from across the field!

I couldn't believe all the action, but that was nothing! The half rack tried to get the doe up to mate w/ her. He nosed her, grunted at her, stomped on her w/ his front hoves, ran around her.....this went on for over an hour and a half! I was hoping a bigger buck would come in, but no.
Attachments:

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15747

Whitjr

Cordless sawsall. Great idea! I use to use a hand bone saw, but now I use only power saws for cutting through bones. Like the Wellsaw made for the meat cutting industry.

Chieftain-

Yes, it may take a huge Mule Deer form to fit this giant deer.

Billy - Thanks!

maya - The deer numbers are way down for the last two years. I loved hearing your doe story. I would have thought the same as you, that maybe a bigger buck may come out to investigate. Still must have been fun to see that happen.

Thanks

classicfur

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15749

nice deer maya..

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #15789

Classicfur - That sure is a big deer. 220 field dressed isn't all that uncommon around here either, but over 250- WOW!

Maya - Congrats on the doe and neat story. I sure would've saved the bladder and urine. A lot cheaper than paying 10 dollars for a little 2 ounce bottle of the same:)

My 9 yr old got a nice 8 point buck this morning :-) 12 years 4 months ago #15993

His first deer at 9 year old.

He told me last night that he wanted to hunt squirrels instead of deer.

We have been deer hunting in a ground blind that I made and seeing lots of squirrels up close.

So this morning he decided we were going down there and hunt squirrel instead of deer.

I said Ok, but carried a few of his slugs anyway just in case.

He is hunting with a pardner model 4.10 shotgun (youth model).

Well about 7:15 we were setting in the ground blind and had seen a few squirrels off in the distance but had not gone after any, when I heard a little rustling in the leaves to our right and looked over there and this nice 8 point was just standing there looking right at us at about 35 yards.

In the blind all he could really see was our heads and I whispered to Cole - be still there is a nice buck.

I had put one of his slugs at the base of the tree in front of us and he had to take a 6 shot out and put the slug in, and he managed to do that and then get his little shotgun slipped up over the top of the blind and I was whispering low in the chest buddy, low in the chest....

Then BAM !

Oh Happy Day !

I could tell it hit him good, and low in the chest, he wheeled around and ran off down the hollow.

We waited about 45 minutes then started trailing him up, found him about 30 minutes later, he ran about 80 yards and then piled up.

While we waited that 45 minutes Cole was shaking, he said daddy my legs will not quit shaking - ohhhh it was great !

I think I had more fun than he did !

Not many 9 year olds start off with a buck like this.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Re:My 9 yr old got a nice 8 point buck this morning :-) 12 years 4 months ago #15995

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Congrats Cole you are the man lil guy :)

Way to go Tn:

Looke good on Ya.......

Billy.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Who's Online

We have 709 guests and no members online

Login