2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Deer Hunting

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16039

FYI all.

Below is a decent youtube vid showing how to do the European \"Skull\" type thing...

My Brother in law has done several this year and the look really nice.

Classicfur - he does use a bueaty shop type hair bleach product, probably very similar to the product the guy in this video shows.

I went ahead and skinned Cole's skull out and removed most of the meat that was atttached to the skull and that will speed up the process quite a bit.

I will post a pic when we get into it and when I have it done.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16044

TN Hunter- I've been saving one rack in my freezer to do this sorta mount with. I need to get to it some day, thanks for the info.

Classicfur- I had to lower the deer and readjust the hoist to get it up further prior to doing the gut-ectomy.

BTW, I used all the deer blood & guts on the 'sang beds to deter other deer. Hope it works well.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16052

Whitjr - Congrats on a successful hunt! :woohoo:
I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt the deer guts will have any effect on deterring deer. I've seen deer walk up and sniff gut piles curiosly, and then just slowly walk off seemingly unalarmed. I've also seen several deer shot from the same treestand within a week of each other, and up here we gut them where they fall. I could be wrong, but in my opinion the deer guts just won't have any effect:(

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16056

5Prong- Well, it's worth a try. I havn't been successful w/ any 0ther approach. Been peeing like a racehorse on the prermeter of my beds in an attempt to keep them out, and that's not working either.

there was snow on the beds this past weekend, and the track thru it was impressive. Lots of it.

Nearer to my home, I also do the gut-ectomy where they fall... however I had good reason to bring the two I shot away from the orchard where they fell... wanted to get them out of the pasture prior to gutting them. When I'm at my home area, I'm like you.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16060

Just got back from a great hunt in Illinois. I didn't get one but saw a couple real smashers and several good ones that got a pass. My buddy shot this 14pt 152\".
Attachments:

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16062

Maya, Glad you had a good time on your hunt. That's a real bruiser that your buddy got:)

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16065

Maya

Wow:woohoo: to your buddy on his Monster Buck!

You sure do get to hunt quite a few states.

classicfur

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16066

classicfur wrote:

Maya

Wow:woohoo: to your buddy on his Monster Buck!

You sure do get to hunt quite a few states.

classicfur

That's where my seng money goes Classic. I really enjoy seeing and hunting this great country!

another pic.
Attachments:

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16069

Look at the size of that rub!

Is that a Savage rifle?

Maya- nice buck you buddy got.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16071

Whitjr wrote:

Look at the size of that rub!

Is that a Savage rifle?