2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: dry..finally

dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15159

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15161

• kman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • looking for 1/2 lb dry wild sang
I can spot some really nice big roots. Hope you will get the price you are happy with.

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15162

• mifflin fur
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
nice lookin sang looks like you had a good year

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15163

takes a long time to dry those bigger roots out..I guess I will be happy with the price I get or they won't get it..just wait and see and listen to all this talk about what the markets going to do or not do and the nit picking over the root.but I learned along time ago. these buyers aint out for your [the seller] best intrest..they are here to buy it as cheap as they can ,and sell it for as much as they can......same as me.;)..good luck to all you diggers..

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15167

Nice looking root chief..
What 's total weight?

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15168

11 lb.s 11 oz...heard anything on prices Triton.I called a guy yesterday..I was so pissed off by the time I got off the phone,I didn't check with anyone else..got an email from this guy ,\"call me I'm paying more than anyone\"..I should have known right then[more dealer double talk]....was quoted the lowest price I've heard in 3 years..I told him for his offer ,I'd burn it in the damn wood stove before I would let him steal it....

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15170

well done

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15171

Good looking roots and a great total weight Chief. Hope you are able to get what they are worth.

Lenno

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15177

I know you guys have put in the hard work of walking many many miles and your deserve every root you find. I am just amazed you are all able to find this much sang growing wild still. I mean I have walked hundreds upon hundreds of miles this spring, summer and fall mushroom hunting. I mushroom hunt almost every other day after work and on weekends. I am always on the look out for new sang spots while hunting. I'm just like you fellas, I can spot it from a distance, swear to goodness I can smell it and feel it's presence when it's hiding. So no, I ain't walking past it. I am still amazed of the reports on here of 10 lbs, 20 lbs, and higher being dug. Hats off to you fellas and I wish I had the land to dig this kind of quantities still.
I hope you all get the top dollar you deserve.
Latt

Re:dry..finally 12 years 5 months ago #15183

• BFB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • North Central, WV
Chieftian,

That is some heckuva season! It is way beyond any season I have ever had. That root quality, quantity, and handling deserves nothing less than top dollar.

Latt, I concur. Although I am new to growing, I have hunted the 'presumedly wild' for many years, and here in WV, I just don't find enough selective digging areas to yield much more than a lb. + of dried once a season has ran its course.

As you mentioned; in general, I am not walking past it either. I would put the proof in the pudding by saying that neither do I find voluminous areas of companion plants.

That being said, I have come to the conclusion that larger yeilds are dependandant upon either a large area, or many many lesser sized areas of favorable soils. ... For example: I was born and raised in the Wheeling area of WV, (now that was a long time ago .. LOL) and as a teen, myself and my main hunting and trapping buddy found quite a bit of 'seng. Of course in that area, we were usually hunting the headwater tribs of creeks that emptied right into the Ohio River. When in my twenties, I moved to North Central, WV, and found less 'seng in this general area. The better hunting from here is always westerly towards Parkersburg. All of those westerly areas require permissions. ... Nowadays, I have a camp, and some property in the mountains around Webster Springs, and I am hard pressed to find 'seng up there in any sort of abundance. Wide areas up there are literally carpeted with hay scented fern. ... I have never hunted 'seng in the far Eastern panhandle, or the Southern part of the state below Charleston, so I can't comment on tha, but I do hear that there is some good 'sengin in that Southern part.

I would like to persue this soil idea a bit thru the WVU extension service(s), and follow up by getting permissions in new areas to explore.

Lord knows that I've paid my dues in boot leather, (lol) So does that sound like a reasonable approach to you?

Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 150 guests and no members online

Login