2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Seng Season Open In Ky

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1643

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
:) I decided to show this nice root with a ben lol I love finding these old roots :)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1648

great root billy. It won't take to many of them to make a pound or two will it. I will try and post some pics in a few days to show u. Not none that big though.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1651

nice looking bunch of root Billy,

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1657

Billy, you know you make a guy want to hit the woods with those pics.Great roots there. I can't wait to get out there after some Sept.1st here in Indiana.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1673

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I hope you guys the best of luck this season I know you are very anxious for it to open out there,just as i was here :)

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1677

Awesome pics Billy, how old do you think the big one was?

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1684

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Maya I could not honestly tell you how old that root is.I have been around the roots all my life and I`ve herd sevral different ways you can add it up,but the truth is,the only one who knows this forsure is the good Lord in my opinion.That being said,

I can say that a root of this size and gurth is an old root in all ohnesty and I can give a reasonable calculation.After it becomes a 4 prong in 7 years it is around 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz according to soli etc etc,I know this from alot of digging exsperience and learning that a 1st year 4 prong has got 1 leaf on it that has 3 leafs instead of 5 as the other 3 leafs help me to determine this weight cycle agin from exsperience of digging threw the years.So if a root gaines from 1/4 to 1/2 ounce every 7 year`s (and im sure there is a differnce in some) ( but by my exspierence only )then this root in question if it gained 1/4 ounce every 7 years is around 70 years old ,but if it gained 1/2 ounce every 7 years it would be around 35 years old this calculation is very accurate I think but leaves a large gap for groth/weight time not knowing the actual correct weight at 7 years of age for this individual root and that is the problem with aging any root that is dug accuratly.

Ohnestly I have seen people say I have a 50 year a 60 year old root etc for sale but there isent a exact way to know just by digging the root and counting the rings etc.
In my opinion this root is between 35 to 70 years old :)

I know I wrote alot,but to answer you ohnestly I needed to.I do believe that my calculation is correct in that the root is no less than 35 years old,no more than 70 years or somewhere inbetween and that is the best age calculation I could give,in any scnerio it is one awsome beautiful old root and I felt very blessed to dig it :)

Billy.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1687

Hey Billy, looks like you are having a good time,glad your having a good season so far,couldn't happen to a better person..Hey have a question for you by the look of some of your find and by what I'm finding this year the really big roots stop looking like men?Or people!!!!I wonder why this is? I am finding to me some of my biggest roots to date truly giant.Question 2 is after the berries are red is it safe to transplant or should I wait til leaves turn yellow.I would rather have some of these big boys growing near the house for the wife to look at instead of selling for who really knows what price will be.Once they are dry thats it.Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1691

billy i am going to try and post some of the pics from work the other day. I only got to look for twenty min. But fount one pretty good size. Some of those little one even though they are little some of them show twenty plus neck scars.

if this doesn't work i will repost

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1701

Ok, great root billy, What every digger needs on here is a definitive grading system!!!!!!! we all dig this plan and wonder, how old is this one? Am I right? Here is the deal, we need the chinese grading system posted here in depth for all of up to profit better. We need also to organize as a foundation in order to sell togeather at one time to increase our profits as a group. Aside from that, some roots will have long defined necks{easy to tell age} some will have amazing plants and roots with flattend wide necks{often growing into itself as diagonal plates as a mess}. And some will have a defined neck, with roots growing off the main neck in diferent sections. All of these roots seem to be open to interpertation as of age. I have an understanding of this, and still wonder the exact age of some roots that I find, especially the sqwished rizome roots.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 335 guests and no members online

Login