2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Seng Season Open In Ky

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1778

Here's another interesting thought. Billie, your obviously a very accomplished seng man and I'm sure your waiting until the berries are mature before digging as are hopefully everyone on the site. Our season started this past week and I was unable to dig much as most all had not turned color yet, many had not even swelled .

Anyone have a thought on that? We have had a very cold and wet summer here, not sure if that slowed things up a bit. Any others in the northeast notice this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1785

In tennessee all the seng i have seen is not ready to dig. all the berries are green.I will not be diging no time soon.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1788

I have not been out in the wild to much yet. But what i have seen did have red berries here in east ky. I do know in my patch i have been getting red berries for about two weeks now.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1789

i'd say 30% here in ILL. have red berries now...

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1791

I have not been out in the wild to much yet. But what i have seen did have red berries here in east ky. I do know in my patch i have been getting red berries for about two weeks now.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1807

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Maya,

Opening day was Aug 15th here and we do have red berries.They where red the 1st day of season,however I have found a few bunches that where part red and still part green,those will be good another year,but most 85 0/0 or better was ready on the open,yeasterday was even better as near 2 weeks have passed almost all the berries are red now 95 0/0 at least.We have had a wet spring this year even unto now I have actualy dug in the rain already 2 times,the water helps us in this area,im sure that has been a big help in the berry outcome,but normaly here we have mostly red berries by middle August for as much as I can remember all but one season during a drought year a few years back.

Maya,
it is very important to be sure and harvest only once the seng is ready.A very good question,I to hope all realise this because if not it will hurt your crop in the near seasons tremendously,good stewardship is a must for any area to reproduce.

I myself like to add seed to the areas I hunt many do not think of it or do not do it but I promise it is a very good idea,it has worked very well.Some will not buy seed to add to the wild where someone else may dig it,and I know it is a risk,but when I sell my seng it is not hard to take a portion of that money and sit it aside for next seasons berry planting,it is just something that you take a chance on.If someone else does come along and find it,it is a very small loss for all that Mountians have giving unto me.I like to plant them in thickets,near very ruff acsess,and on step very hard to walk slops,areas where alot of diggers dont bother to look the ruffer it is the better,find places that are so step you dont want to walk on it yourself.Once you are there you will find areas on these step banks that flatten to a degree and even places that for 2o by say 15 yards are nearly flat,Idea places rite there,and you will be amazed at the wild seng that you will find rite there also,you just have to remember the basics of seng growth when your choices are made in planting seed.

I have dug better since I started these things than I did before I started,my sons should have some great seasons Lord willing by there 30`s............

Billy.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1809

Billie I started buying some seed last year, it makes sense to me too and I also like that term stewardship for propper digging & hunting! I saw some beauties but I'm going to wait another week before going back to check them. Hopefully they will be fine as there was one that was ripe near them.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1810

very well put Billy. i just got back home to show you all this pic. i was dead wrong a bout the red berries in tennessee.
Attachments:

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1811

Attachments:

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1823

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hey Chieften where do you live in Ill ?

When I was younger my Dad had a long time friend that lived in Centraila Ill (hope i spelled that rite)he was a full blooded Indian named Ed Shoptall we stayed a weekend with him once on a visit he was a great guy.

I have also been out to Kenmonday Ill and fished with my Grandfather at Helens lake when I was a boy.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 240 guests and no members online

Login