2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Scouting

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18025

Maya, glad you are able to tell us that story. The woods sure can be a dangerous place at times. Three stem plant tops off one root, that's cool. I have found many two stem off one root but can't remember finding many if any three stem.
Be safe everyone.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18027

I was hiking in the linville gorge in april, and saw two wild 'sang plants, real pretty in as cove that had a small creek in nit. Before I was growing, I'm not sure if I would have recongnized them.

some of those you guys have found are real interesting looking!

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18042

I should have said 3 prong Latt.

A Doctor told me I should have baught a lotto ticket!

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18045

Glad you're okay Maya. I'm with the doctor on the lotto ticket:)

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18048

I've already done more scouting this year than ever before. My sweet wife and I have been going on walks in the woods, scouting for sang, almost every Sunday afternoon after we come home from church services. It's been a great way to enjoy Sunday afternoons, spend time together, get out in the wonderful woods that God created, loose some weight from all the walking, and God has smiled upon us to find lots of nice healtly pockets of sang for this fall. I've been keeping a journal of our outings and directions back to sections of woods that hold mature sang for harvest later in the fall.

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18050

Sounds like a good recipe for healthy relaxation, Darrin. Which side of the mountain do you live on? My wife and I may want to walk with you.
Hugh

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18052

I am off work this week and I am going to scout 110 acres of private land today with a buddy. We are going to look for Chantrelle Mushrooms and we will be picking wild red and black raspberries. I will be keeping my eyes open for ginseng too. The area is close to an area that I have already found some of the largest and nicest roots and plant tops in a long time.

Hopefully this new woods will contain some as well.

Latt

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18151

Hugh Hartsell wrote:

Sounds like a good recipe for healthy relaxation, Darrin. Which side of the mountain do you live on? My wife and I may want to walk with you.
Hugh

Sorry for the late reply, Hugh.
We're on the NC side.

Re:Scouting 06/23 TNhunter 11 years 9 months ago #18162

Hey Guys...

I got out this morning for a couple hour scouting trip close to home here.

I hunted this same location 2-3 years ago and found a few good ones, but left lots of small stuff. I wanted to see how those had grown at this point.

I did not find any big stuff, some decent 3's and some pretty patches.

Also found something that I am not sure what it is but there was quite a bit of it in the hollow. Wondering if any of you know what it is..

I have 11 pics to share...

First one below is a location I dug a nice 3 prong a couple seasons ago and planted several red berries, and then came back that winter and planted some stratified seed. When I dug that big 3, I found 3 smaller roots within the same digging circle. It was real late in the year and some had expired and there was no top left. This morning there was a couple of 3 prongs, a 2 prong and several 3 leafers along that old log where I found the big one a couple years ago.

Some of those 3 leafers are from the berries I planted, and some from stratified seed I put there too.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Scouting 06/23 TNhunter 11 years 9 months ago #18163

Now here is something that I was wondering - what it is.

Can you ID this plant ?

Is it worth anything ? It has a big root that looks a little like seng.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 297 guests and no members online

Login