2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng...

Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1865

I live in western KY just south of Paducah any good pointers for the environment, Trees and plant life....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1867

have you looked around murray and benton

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1868

Hi Lonnie, I am not familiar with your area but, some things to look for. You are South enough to be out of the Sugar Maple range (I think) so, look for tulip poplar trees in the over story. They help set calcium in the soil. Also look on North East facing slopes (this doesn't mean you can't sometimes find it on other slopes. Look for the identifier plants (plants that tend to grow where seng grows) like, black and blue cohash, Christmas fern, rattlesnake fern, jack in the pulpit, false sang, dolls eye, etc. You will learn that seng is not as easy to find in the woods as some might believe. You will need to cover a lot of distance but, at the same time cover it thoroughly.

Good luck

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1870

what is this \"pointer Plant\" that people are talking abour???... I have looked online and can't seem to find a pic of it

Dieselrider wrote:

Hi Lonnie, I am not familiar with your area but, some things to look for. You are South enough to be out of the Sugar Maple range (I think) so, look for tulip poplar trees in the over story. They help set calcium in the soil. Also look on North East facing slopes (this doesn't mean you can't sometimes find it on other slopes. Look for the identifier plants (plants that tend to grow where seng grows) like, black and blue cohash, Christmas fern, rattlesnake fern, jack in the pulpit, false sang, dolls eye, etc. You will learn that seng is not as easy to find in the woods as some might believe. You will need to cover a lot of distance but, at the same time cover it thoroughly.

Good luck

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1872

Not yet... I found a couple on my property but that was all a lot of creeper...lol

Chieftain wrote:

have you looked around murray and benton

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1873

i was down in the benton area early this spring coonhunting with a guy.we seen several nice plants that night..and that was at night with a light..i kinda wondered what it would be like in the daytime

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1882

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Lonnie. Heres a little info I hope will help. It may sound crazy but I invested in a 5 dollar compass at walmart in order to locate the North and Northeast facing slopes of the mountains.If you try a compass you will notice that the Northern facing slopes tend to have the largest trees and soil that is really moist due to better shade. I was always able to find seng but since I started using my compass I have trippled the amount I used to find. I have found the majority of my seng growing in stands of huge poplar, beech, and hickory trees.I usually avoid areas that are heavy with pine, cedar, and small oaks. Areas with lots of rotted leaves, moss, ferns, and rocks seem to be good places to look. Don't get me wrong, I have found seng growing on slopes facing every direction but not nearly as much as what I find growing to the North. Anyway, happy hunting and i hope the compass works for you as well as it has for me.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 6 months ago #1893

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I like useing the compass to very good advice.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 6 months ago #1894

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I like useing the compass to very good advice.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 6 months ago #1902

if you like a compass you'll love the gps...

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 289 guests and no members online

Login