2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 2012 season has begun!

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19140

Man root w/ an extra arm.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19141

Now that's a stem!:side:
Attachments:

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19142

Great find Maya,
You are making us all envious. Six more days here:woohoo:

Oh, I just about forgot. My wife and I went late yesterday afternoon to see how the Wild ginseng was progressing and a Bear came down out of a tree just as we let Boomer out of the car. It was a good race for awhile. It was his first.

Hugh

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19144

Maya...

That sure is a heck of a stem. If I had seen that I would have been expecting a much larger root than that on it though.

It's a nice root, but does not seem to match the stem size.

I remember finding a huge tall 4 prong when I was in my 20's and the stem was very similar to yours in that pic, - I had a old green button up shirt that I used to wear senging... and the stem on it would not fit thru a button hole.

But now it had a big old hog root on it too.

Me and my boy Cole went squirrel hunting this morning - saw a couple, but it was really too hot and dry (could not slip)...

We got off on a north hillside and found 30 or so ginseng plants - a few decent 3 prongs and I let him find them. He got a little better at it as we went on. He is 10 years old now.

We also found a wild grape vine hanging from a tall tree on that steep hillside and I cut the bottom off so he could swing on it and man he had some fun at that. He did not want to leave.

He did want to dig some of those 3 prongs and I told him - he will - but we have to wait until next weekend.

They were all sort of high on the hill and not a one of them had berries.

I think our month of June made it hard on many of our seng plants this year and they just were not able to set berries.

Keep those pictured coming !

TNhunter

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19147

Thanks Hugh!

TN, actually many of them had stems close to that. It wasn't as big as some I've dug but anything over 2 oz's is a darn nice root in my book.

This is not big but real dark and knarley!It had a big stem on it too.
Attachments:

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19150

:woohoo: My Oh My What NICE Finds! Anytime you are averaging over an ounce a root that's a excellent dig in my book. Way to go Maya! Hope you dig 10 more pounds from that drainage. Sounds like you found a real good spot there.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19155

Maya...you dig some fine roots my man. Anything over 1 ounce is a dandy here in Northern Middle TN. Those bud scars look like nickels stacked on one another on some of them giants you dig. Keep up the good diggin' and keep them pics a comin'! The ground around my parts is harder than Chinese arithmetic. I have been known to dig up a big clump of dirt with the bigger roots and soak it in a creek or bring it home and soak it to keep all the fiber roots in tact. I got the ole digger out today and sharpened up the business end a bit, 6 more days and I'm gonna run for the hills.

SengNveins

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19156

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Im excited to see what you have found Maya before i check each day :)

Looking very good as usal my friend,congrats on the papaw he was nice indeed.

I went to Va: with my friend Bobby Joe and hunted some private owned land we had a blessed day and found some beautys I will post some picks later.

Billy.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19160

Maya,

Way to go man!!! Very nice!
I'm just plain jealous:woohoo:

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19163

Thanks guys, my wife and I are headed up to that spot shortly to spend the morning.

Oh there is tons of moose sign there, maybe we'll get to see one. Maybe I'll get a tag for one, one of these years! Nothing tasier than moose meat. I helped a friend to scout for this one last year.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 203 guests and no members online

Login