2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: best list of companion plants

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #20115

That is the same weed! I looked it up online after I posted and it is called Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) but everyone I know calls them Fire Nettles. I have found quite a bit of seng growing under and amongst them. Just before Bow Season in October of 1990 (I believe), I found a thick patch of Fire Nettles growing on the end of a large finger ridge in West Virginia. The plants were as tall as me (6 foot, 1 1/2 inches) and had 3 and 4 prongs growing under and amongst them that were knee to waist high. There were so many flat tops and 2 prongs that you couldn't count them much less get to them, even if you wanted to due to the Fire Nettles. I had to use a big stick to knock the Fire Nettles over just to get through them. Twenty two (22) years has passed and I have not been back there since. I would bet that there are again some really nice 3 and 4 pronged plants grown up there now, so maybe next year I will take a trip up there to see! Besides, I have some old friends there that I have not seen in many years!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #20117

I think for the first time seng hunters just look for a good stand of poplar and maple trees and most of the companion plants will be there. If it's pretty much all oak and hickery just trek on through.

rootman

Re:best list of companion plants 9 years 11 months ago #28263

The two best indicators I see here in northwest Arkansas are maidenhair fern and doll's eyes/baneberry. The very best spots have the others as well, but if I see the two, then I almost always find ginseng there.

Re:best list of companion plants 9 years 11 months ago #28265

Areas I've found it best had lots of rocks/boulders laying with moss covering them. Lots of maple and beech trees. Baneberry and Indian Turnip. And some light coverage of grapevines. A few areas I found that had too many grapevines, and all the undergrowth on the ground was dead. It looked like a fire had swept through.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 728 guests and no members online

Login