2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Sister's First Seng Trip

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1993

I am no snake expert but, when a boy scout about a zillion years ago, we had a guy at a camp out that had a couple rattle snakes right there on the ground as the scouts gathered around at a safe distance. He was very informative and handled the snakes with a long tool thing. The guy was in uniform but, so long ago, I don't remember if he was DCNR or Game Commission, or? He really gave a great lesson on rattle snakes. One thing he said was one bite from the average rattle snake will not kill the average adult. It will do a lot of damage and hurt like hell. Most people die of heart attack or shock trying to get out of the woods after being bitten. Basically they panic. Some other interesting things that stuck with me all these years, A rattle snake is deaf and cannot hear it's own rattle. They rattle out of nervousness. The tail muscles go haywire when aroused or the snake is scarred. He doesn't know he's doing that. If given a chance and some space, they will almost always retreat. Most people get bit when they surprise the snake and it reacts instinctively to protect itself. Being deaf it doesn't waste a lot of time trying to negotiate. The one other thing he demonstrated was how sensitive their pits are on their heads. They search for mice and stuff using the preys body heat to zero in on the animal. Once they strike they follow the heat trail to find and eat the dead animal. He demonstrated this with water balloons. One was filled with cold water and he could even bump it into the snakes head and the snake would totally ignore the balloon. The other he had filled with warm water, and the minute he brought the warm balloon out, the snake was all eyes on the balloon. When it got close the snake struck at it right away thinking it was a warm blooded animal and a threat. I have never run into a rattle snake in the wild and never had to make any quick decisions on killing one. If anywhere around the farm buildings and livestock, I would not hesitate to kill one. Out in the woods away from everyone and in their own environment, as long as I am not in a tight spot with one, it's free to go.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1994

i didn't see no snakes but i did do some scouting...cant dig till sept the 5th.....
Attachments:

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1995

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1996

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #2003

Man how hard is that chieftan to not dig. I know i have done it in turkey season allthe timme and it sure is tough. That last pic u posted man that top sure is a healthy looking top. Let us know how it goes on the 5.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #2004

lets just say the 5th of sept. can't get here quick enough...

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #2034

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • IdRatherBeSengin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice chieftain. I'd say that seng has been calling your name ever since you found it. I was scouting in the DBNF around Cave Run Lake the other day and found a couple nice small bunches with a couple of 4 prongs and a few threes but I can't get my permit until Sept. 10th and dig on the 15th. The only problem is all the plants in these little plots are extremely close together so I'm gonna have to be careful not to hurt the small ones. I found this big deep dark holler with lots of cohosh and old timber right as it was getting dark so hopefully I'll find more as I get farther along. Hopefully I'll be able to get you guys some pics up when I get back. It's beautiful around the lake.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #2041

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I saw a black Rattlesnake last season rsting up on top of a log and he just watched me but never rattled,I was realy suprised I stood and looked at him for about two or 3 minutes and made sur that Caleb looked at him and reconised that this is his teritory and he is in here so always watch for him and be sure to never just sit down on and old log or rock pile without thorough inspection first.We left the rattler there and he never did seem worried it was realy odd but a neat exspearence.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 454 guests and no members online

Login