2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: where to hunt?

where to hunt? 11 years 7 months ago #19376

I have been told that you shouldnt waste your time looking around pine trees and luaral thickets. Is this true or a lie. thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:where to hunt? 11 years 7 months ago #19381

Hi Jakopier1,

I wouldnt say its true or false. I havnt found any ginseng under pine trees but I know guys that have.... I have found some just down the hillside from heavy pine tho.
I always check out the lower side of laurel thickets and any clearings in between the laurels. Especially on the north facing sides of steep hollows.
However those arent the first things I look for... look for deep hollows or heavy shaded ares with plenty of companion plants. Ginseng can and will fool ya on where it grows. I found a really nice 3 prong growing inside a hollow oak tree on the south facing side of a ridgetop.. no companion plants anywhere around. Conditions were right there and somehow a seed got carried in...

If you look close in this pic you can see a very large 4 prong right in the center of the pic, its growing under the drip edge of several laurels.... there were more than 20 large sang plants within 30 ft of this one.

Randy
Attachments:

Re:where to hunt? 11 years 7 months ago #19387

I found some growing last year in some white pine.

It was actually right on the edge of a pine thicket, with a mix of poplar, maple and oaks just up the hill.

The pines were in the 15 year old range (had been clear cut and planted back in pines 15 years ago)... and some of this seng was 30-40 years old.

Notice the pine needles...

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:where to hunt? 11 years 7 months ago #19388

Here is another nice one that was found in the edge of those white pines...

This one had a nice root... with 2 - 3 prong tops.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:where to hunt? 11 years 7 months ago #19391

i have found it in cedars n hemlock but in every case there is an older bed somewhere close usually a nice hollow with all the rite conditions

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 523 guests and no members online

Login