2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ?

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 11 years 7 months ago #19550

Interesting topic. I seldom get to go on all day hunts anymore, but when I do I have taken many of the things that you guys have listed. I've taken jerky, vienna sausages, trail mix, apples, cheese and crackers, cookies... I've even taken those individually packaged dill pickles. Guess I like a varied menu. I do always take a bottle of power-aid or water, and 2 or 3 of them if I know I'm going to be out most of the day.

I've never packed peanut butter or bananas though. Perhaps I'll pack both the next time I get out on an all day venture:P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 11 years 7 months ago #19551

tinknocker1...

On those leg cramps... I agree - a real pain.

My feet and legs used to cramp something awfull after a long hunt (like 6-7 hours)...

I would come home and take a shower and try to lay down and rest a bit and my toes and feet and legs would cramp. No resting with that going on.

I finally figured out that if I replace my water with gatoraid... that helps a lot. I also take a multivitimin with minerals each morning - usually just one a day.... but after a long hard seng hunt I take another and that helps too.

Minerals - especially magnesium - are most beneficial for muscle cramps.

TNhunter

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 11 years 7 months ago #19562

great insight guys. this is my first year hunting ginseng, but I've been an avid mushroom hunter for 5 years. I take a gallon of water,many bowls and sacks, eat before I go, and take my gps. After being lost in the woods for over 6 hours one time(after I'd hunted for 8), I learned my lesson :)

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 11 years 7 months ago #19817

Well lets see, pickled eggs when i have them, sunflower seeds, maybe some granola bars and cookies if I bake them (baking is not my wifes thing). And one more little secret I found to be very helpful this year... A 5 hour energy, they work wonders for me.

Lots of what u guys say like the super fast breaks and lots of liquids sounds the same as what I do. Everything but peanut butter, have not tried that yet.

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 10 years 10 months ago #22942

I thought I would resurrect this Thread and put in my' daily diet for Ginseng hunting! Lots of times, I will just make sure to pickup a couple of on sale Biscuits from Hardy's or MacDonald's with egg, bacon or sausage or just steak. I eat one and hold there other in reserve. I also take a couple of Mountain Dews, water, peanut butter crackers and several candy bars. These seem to give me that extra boost when I feel my' butt is a-draggin! When I have them, I will usually pack several cans of Beanie-weenies and Vienna Sausages. I seldom drink from springs, creek or streams unless I have checked them back to the source! I got very sick once after drinking from a small creek that was flowing through a Laurel patch and especially it's roots. Laurel is poisonous to everything that eats it except for Deer and Mules which don't have Gallbladders. I also took a drink from a stream once, then walked around a bend in the stream and found a dead Black Bird laying in the water. If you must get water from a stream, carry a small can with you, so you can start a small unnoticed fire to boil the water first. There have always been germs and bacteria in the free running water but nowadays, it seems that these are a thousand fold and it just takes one of the bad ones to put you in the hospital or worse!

Frank

Re:Seng Hunters - Lunch - what do you take ? 10 years 9 months ago #23032

Like most I occasionally throw a can of Vienna Sausages in the sack along with some cheese, a package of peanut butter crackers and maybe some snack size candy bars. My usual favorite is a couple of hard-boiled eggs, cheese, package of tuna and tomato with salt and pepper. Along with the above mentioned snacks! Nothing beats a good juicy tomato with salt and pepper after a few hours of hard sweating! I usually carry a 32 oz bottle of semi-frozen gatorade as well as 4 16oz bottles of frozen water on me. I keep another bottle of gatorade at the 4-wheeler in a cooler for consumption after the long hike out.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 469 guests and no members online

Login