2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states!

WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 11 years 7 months ago #19496

First off I'm not typically one to point fingers but I was enraged to see Jeffrey Sargent listed as a ginseng dealer for Iowa. Why you might ask? I have had frequent contact with a friend in the IA Dnr and he has informed me of many complaints about this guy. Not his purchasing but his hunting. According to the officer I spoke with a red flag flew for them when records showed that Mr Sargent sold 80 lbs of wet Deng on opening day first off. Secondly he insists on asking what county you dig in, legality I understand but when he makes himself known in your area and five large patches belonging to you and your family get taken(all plants large and small) and he and seven others on a digging crew are seen camping just three miles from your patch something needs to be said. The Dnr has had such problems with him that I can honestly say that him and his crew were the reason for the closure of harvesting on state ground. Not griping just a fair warning to you all. This guy is a poacher and a parasite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 11 years 7 months ago #19497

Oh ya forgot to mention he draws disability as well and still goes out and poaches others root.

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 11 years 7 months ago #19606

Without concrete proof of your accusations I don't believe its prudent to post your hypotheses here. If Jeff was responsible for the restrictions on state parks, why did the DNR issue his buyers permit and diggers permit? I don't know the man, but calling someone a poacher and parasite when he has not been found guilty of any wrong doing in a court of law does not sit well with me. Its a sad fact that there are diggers who trespass but anyone who has grown for any length of time realizes the possibility of this and cuts back their patch long before season.

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 11 years 7 months ago #19629

The IA Dnr wants him but can't get evidence. Said purchaser of 80 lbs lives out of state. And check actual UPDATED Iowa regs. Talked to a CO. Yesterday and it is still closed and has been. Websites regs are outdated. Dnr newsletter they send to registered harvesters in IA even states that there is a closure.

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 9 years 7 months ago #30023

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 9 years 7 months ago #30025

I understand your warning flags Iowa, however I'd have to imagine if the authorities are trying to get this guy and gain evidence,I'm not sure you would be helping them by posting this on the biggest seng site on the net. You're just tipping him off. Also if he sold 80lbs the first day of season wouldn't that be enough evidence to make an arrest? Oh well, I hope they get him.

Re:WARNING to sellers of Iowa ginseng as well as surrounding states! 9 years 7 months ago #30050

They wanted more, and they have got him now. As far as I've heard he's no longer even allowed to possess ginseng now haha

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 129 guests and no members online

Login