2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sad, angry day in the woods!

Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19924

I have been hunting and stewarding 2 tiny little woods that my uncles hunted and scatered seed some 35 years ago. These woods hadnt been hunted until I started hunting 8 years ago!!! It is plum FULL of big old seng! Well I decided to hunt one of these woods today. I started at first light and was h:ohmy: ad a decent morning. After I stoped for a quick bite to eat I started huntin the southern half and was HORRIFIED at what I began seeing!!! HOLES EVERYWHERE!:angry: Most spots didnt have the plant still laying there but there were several that couldnt have been a day maybe two old. They dug EVERYTHING!!!! Even the small 2-3 yr old plants!! It even apears that after they found a plant they just started diging away at the surronding area finding near by roots as well!:( At first I was angry (and still am!) When I saw the complete devestation an overwhelming sadness came over me! I informed the land owner of trespassers but its very rual with no one around for miles. I just dont quite know how to take all this!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19926

Sorry Bird Nerd,
I know the feeling. We lost about 2 acres this summer to the same thing. They walked right in on private land and took everything. The plants were 12 years old.
Hugh

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19927

bird nerd,

They may consider that they have cleaned most of the Ginseng out this year on the land. However, they will probably be back next year as they will expect more to come up. I would recommending setting up some cameras next year, a few days before season to catch them!

Sorry for your loss!

Frank

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19931

Sad indeed. I've lost a few decent patches over the years due to the same. It takes a long time to recover when someone digs all the little ones like that. I know exactly how your feeling.

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19937

bird ,that happened to me couple years ago ,I feel for you...

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19940

I FEEL FOR YOU...I HAVE BEEN LET DOWN BY MANY GINSENG HUNTERS OVER THE YEARS
IT IS VERY SAD WHEN YOU FIND PLANTS DUG AND THEY DONT EVEN TAKE A MINUTE TO PLANT THE BERRIES.LAZY ZND SELFISH.
I HAD A FEW TIMES WHEN MY SENGING ( PARTNER ) WENT BACK IN THE WOODS WITHOUT ME WHILE I WAS WORKING AND DUG IT ALL..MORE THEN ONCE HE HAS DONE THIS.I HUNT ALONE MOST OF THE TIME NOW AND NEVER EVER TELL OF A NEW PATCH
I HOPE YOU CAN FIND A NEW SPOT FULL OF GIANTS AND MAYBE THAT WILL HELP EASE THE PAIN.
GOOD LUCK

Little off the subject 11 years 7 months ago #19941

Does any one no what this plant is it has a root much like blood root but it has a yellow liquid inside here is the plant

Re:Little off the subject??? 11 years 7 months ago #19944

????
Attachments:

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19948

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
This sadens me bird :( so sory

bird nerd wrote:

I have been hunting and stewarding 2 tiny little woods that my uncles hunted and scatered seed some 35 years ago. These woods hadnt been hunted until I started hunting 8 years ago!!! It is plum FULL of big old seng! Well I decided to hunt one of these woods today. I started at first light and was h:ohmy: ad a decent morning. After I stoped for a quick bite to eat I started huntin the southern half and was HORRIFIED at what I began seeing!!! HOLES EVERYWHERE!:angry: Most spots didnt have the plant still laying there but there were several that couldnt have been a day maybe two old. They dug EVERYTHING!!!! Even the small 2-3 yr old plants!! It even apears that after they found a plant they just started diging away at the surronding area finding near by roots as well!:( At first I was angry (and still am!) When I saw the complete devestation an overwhelming sadness came over me! I informed the land owner of trespassers but its very rual with no one around for miles. I just dont quite know how to take all this!

Re:Sad, angry day in the woods! 11 years 7 months ago #19950

Sorry to hear that, hope you find out who it was.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 130 guests and no members online

Login