2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where ya at?

Where ya at? 11 years 7 months ago #20066

Just a wondering where ya at when you find your honey hole?Mine is at the head of a deep dark hollow.I've heard steep hill sides,creek lines,ridge lines,big flats on side of mnts,little drains on a mnt side,so where do you like to sneek off to so you can find that plant that makes you ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooooooooooo HAPPY:P :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Where ya at? 11 years 7 months ago #20067

Just A Senging wrote:

Just a wondering where ya at when you find your honey hole?Mine is at the head of a deep dark hollow.I've heard steep hill sides,creek lines,ridge lines,big flats on side of mnts,little drains on a mnt side,so where do you like to sneek off to so you can find that plant that makes you ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooooooooooo HAPPY:P :cheer:

In 43 years of digging, I have found nice patches in practically every place you mentioned! However, my two biggest finds were: 1) On the side of a ridge within 30 to 40 yards of the flat part of the holler with 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 prongs growing everywhere. 2) On a ridge line only 5 to 30 yards from the top with several dozen 4 prongers standing knee to waist high and many more 3 prongers standing shin to knee high.

With so many people hurting for money and digging seng, it is highly unlikely that I will ever find patches of the likes again!

Frank

Re:Where ya at? 11 years 7 months ago #20069

this is my first year`really huntin it, but the only good place I've found was an extremely steep little hollow, only about 200 yards long and maybe 40 yards across. It is so narrow it doesn't show up on the topo map. I'm thinking thats why it still had about 60 4 prongers, because few people knew it was there, and it was a hard dig :)

Re:Where ya at? 11 years 7 months ago #20079

usualy i find the oldest ones in the steepest sides of a hill or the deepest dark holler- usualy were i think my family would pass off
but yesterday i found a surprising large patch full of big 4s right in and island were two joining creek beds cut the mountain and made the island.

like pop said gensing will always surprise you. and them surprises realy make your day great!

the surprises make the hunt better for me, anyone else???

Re:Where ya at? 11 years 7 months ago #20081

For me as well! I recently found a patch with at least 26 plants with only 8 diggable 3 prongs. When I saw the patch, my' eyes must have been big as saucers!

My old friend and myself once slept on a patch of Ginseng. We were 18 years old and hiked some 10 miles or more back into the mountains. (I won't say where even if the Statute of Limitations has run out!:woohoo:) We hiked til dark and made camp figuring that we would dig seng all of the way back out. We did a ot of wallering around a lot because we had some beer (it was legal back then) with us and because a Black Bear and a Black Panther tried to come into our' camp. We were up much of the night keeping the fire going. The next morning we woke up only to find that we had slept in a big patch of Ginseng. There were so many tops down and separated from their' roots, I doubt that we got half of them!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 319 guests and no members online

Login