2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational

Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 11 months ago #22437

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hey Guys as many of you already know I am not only a ginseng dealer but I deal in 24 other roots,barks and herbs.

I wanted to share a few photos of many other plants that I deal with.It may be helpful to some hear on the site for Identification of various roots herbs or bark.I will add the medical note and names and then give a observation of my own concerning the various roots etc.

I will add a few pictures every day or so as I scout and take photos untill I add all of the plants etc.

I thought this might be something for us to endulge in a little bit while waiting on our most beloved ginseng season.

And yes I will buy all of these roots from you for a price guide e-mail me I want post prices or website links on ths site any more as it offends some This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hope you enjoy my friends and feel free to post a photo or name a plant.

And always remember that every plant has a reproduction system and whyll not many plants have digging seasons on them a responsable digger will harvest after the seed has fallen instead of before it has fallen even if he is allowed to harvest before it has.If not then soon there will not be anything left to harvest in your woods that you hunt for along time.Dig responsably at all times for yourself and your children.

Billy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22438

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Beth Root is the most common name but this root has sevral titles A perennial of the woods, Beth root is also known as Birth root because Native Americans used it to aid in birth. It acts on the female reproductive system and contains a precursor of female sex hormones; in the past, it was used to stop excessive uterine bleeding. This herb is also known as Lamb's Quarters, Wake-Robin, Indian Balm, Indian Shamrock, and Ground Lily.

My personal observatin concerning this plant

The plant can also have a purplish flower instead of a white flower the root is bulbous and in size it can be from a quarter to a half a dollor is circomfrense the root has alot of strands coming out of the bulb it is usaly very plentyful where ever it grows as it has a great reproduction system.Agood digger can spend a day digging this root then dry it and earn around $60.00 to $75.00 for that days toil. -NOTE- Once the roots are washed be sure to cut the bulbs in half before drying as the larger bulbs are very diffucult to dry properly unless you do and many dealers will not buy them if you did not cut them.

-NOTE- Dry is better,but it is a slow dryer be patient and remember to cut the root at least once,twice even better.

Billy.
Attachments:

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22439

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Crainesbill contains a powerful ingredient called tannin.Tannin is responsible for soothing the digestive tract, and it is useful in preventing and treating frequent diarrhea. Cranesbill has been used for centuries as a way to treat such problems.

We have alot of this root in these Mountians the wet to dry ratio of this root is better than most of all the small roots that I have ever dryed.They have a noby like texture that is firmer than most small roots and that part of the root remains fuller in the drying process than most roots.If you are a good digger and you spend the day digging this root,then dry the root it is not hard to earn $75.00 for that days toil.

Dry is better it is a slow dryer but not as slow as beth root and do not cut this root up it dry fine in whole peaces.If you do cut a root digging it is ok the dealer will not complain as with ginseng.

Billy.
Attachments:

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22440

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Sasparella - used for thousands of years by indigenous tribes of South America but was first introduced to Europe near the end of the Dark Ages. Today, it is still a popular supplement ingredient and medicinal treatment for a wide variety of internal and external health conditions.Today Sarsaparilla is used to help decrease joint pain and itching, and can also reduce bacteria.It is also used in soft drinks.

Sarsaparilla is a cousin to ginseng and favors ginseng more than any other plant period it is very often mistook for ginseng when the hunters are in the field especialy if you see a few bigger plants close together at a distance,but once a trained eye gets closer you will notice that the berrie pod is not in the center of the plant as ginseng it is actualy coming up from the ground where the stalk comes out and the plant never has 4 prongs or 2 prongs even the babies are 3 prongs always.The leafs are very close to ginseng also,but a ginseng leaf has 5 leaflets all in one spot,but the cousin plant has 3 leaflets at the forfront of the steam and then there will be a space of 1/2 inch to 1 inch between the 2 lower leafs and that is a distinct ID showing the difference in the 2 cousins.Also the root has horse mange like hair growing right where the stalk and the root seperate.A good digger could exspect to earn up to $100.00 for a days toil after drying this root.

I once found a patch that was so full of mature plants that I made near $150.00 in 4 1/2 hours digging and left many small plants and medium plants for another harvest.

-NOTE- Always dry this root if you can because it pays alot better than most roots do wet verses dry.

Billy.
Attachments:

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22441

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I will give it a couple days to let every one see these and if you guys enjoy it I will then then add a few more maybe a herb and a bark also in the next set.

Billy.

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22446

Good pics, Billy. Since you have figured up the time and cost of such roots....In a decent patch of Bloodroot, how much could one expect to make in 8 hours? I know of several large patches and was wondering if it would be worth my efforts.

Hillhopper

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22448

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Hillhopper it would most definatly be worth your time to dig patches of blood root and dry it.Bloodroot is one of the best small roots in return for effort in the woods.

I have a friend that dug a good patch as you said.He brought the root into me washed and cleaned nicely I dried the root for him because we wanted to find the dry to wet weight for this tme of season.I weighed the root in and it came out to be $96.00 He left home at 8.00 and was back home at 3.00 so that was about 5 to 6 hours digging time.I have saw realy thick patches produce $150.00 in a full day of digging.

E-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for the price and how it works I would be glad to buy them from you.The good thing with roots like this is I can buy most of them from any one in any State.These roots are alot differnt than ginseng and there isent any realy hard rules to deal with.

Hillhopper wrote:

Good pics, Billy. Since you have figured up the time and cost of such roots....In a decent patch of Bloodroot, how much could one expect to make in 8 hours? I know of several large patches and was wondering if it would be worth my efforts.

Hillhopper

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22449

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Would the moderator please delete this 1 post in the thread because it would not let me upload the bloodroot photo for some reason

Thank you.
Attachments:

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22450

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Bloodroot was used historically by Native Americans for curative properties as an emetic, respiratory aid, and other treatments.In physician William Cook's 1869 work The Physiomedical Dispensatory is recorded a chapter on the uses and preparations of bloodroot,which described tinctures and extractions.Bloodroot extracts have also been promoted by some supplement companies as a treatment to help fight against certian cancers.

Bloodroot is by far one of my favorite small roots to harvest.It grows plentyful in most areas so harvest is good most of the time.Bloodroot reproduces very well.It is easy to identify easy to dig and easy to clean and dry.A good digger who stays at work all day and then cleans and drys his Blood root will average from $65.00 to $150.00 a day when it is done and said the amount of reward has alot to do with the amount of time spent and the maturity of your roots.

I average $80.00 to 100.00 a day when I spend a full day with bloodroot but as you guys know I am slower than I used to be :) a young man or a guy that still has a strong back can do very good with this root.

-NOTE- Always dry this root if you can because it pays alot better than most roots do wet verses dry.

Billy.
Attachments:

Re:New Tops & Plants Ready for 2013 Season 10 years 11 months ago #22455

Thanks for the info Billy. I haven't ever dug enough Bloodroot to try and sell but I'll probably try my hand at it soon. If I can get it dug, Ill give you a call. I was wanting to talk to you about something concerning dried Ginseng anyhow. I will shoot you an email or call you before long.

Hillhopper

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 134 guests and no members online

Login