2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22760

This is the monster ginseng plant that you helped lead me to a couple of years ago. It is liking it's new home.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22771

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
huntsman I am not sure what that is but it seems that it is the other type of May Apple that is not common and alot harder to find the name of it is slipping my mind right now,but I am going to try and find it.

huntsman53 wrote:

Picture #2

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22772

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Whats going on my Friend.

That is one of the niest patches of goldenseal/yellowroot I ever saw Jeff.

Man that big ole 4 does love his new home aint that nice it towers above the ground as if to say see my majesty :) congrats bro it sure has took to that soil well :)

Billy.

5prong wrote:

This is the monster ginseng plant that you helped lead me to a couple of years ago. It is liking it's new home.

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22773

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
True & False Solomons Seal - On the laft is the True and on the right is the False.The true has flowers on the bootom of the plant and the False has the fruit on the very tip at the end of the plant a very distinct difference.

True Solomon's Seal root is an herbal astringent, and it has been used to relieve chronic dysentery, hemorrhoids and diarrhea.As a tonic, Solomon's Seal is said to be healing and restorative. In the Ayurvedic medicine of India, it is considered a fine rejuvenative tonic and aphrodisiac, and it is one of the eight root herbs (mostly belonging to the lily family) used for infertility, chronic wasting diseases and bleeding disorders. Taken internally, the root is used to help broken bones knit more quickly.

My personal thoughts concerning Solomons Seal - The upside is that it is a easy plant to identify and it is very plentyful.The downside is that we hardly ever have a demand for the root and when we do the value of the root seems a little low in comparison to other plants.A good digger after drying could earn $30 - $45 dollors a day.Not a favorite of my to harvest.Maybe after more studys are done the value may increase.

Billy.
Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22774

A note that I've heard about False Solomon's Seal. Native Americans used to use it like Ritalin to reduce hyperactivity in children. No studies I'm aware of proving it, but if people become aware of a natural way of reducing hyperactivity I'm sure it will become a popular plant. I dug some root and dried it last summer. I haven't tried it yet though.

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22775

Billy wrote:

huntsman I am not sure what that is but it seems that it is the other type of May Apple that is not common and alot harder to find the name of it is slipping my mind right now,but I am going to try and find it.

Billy... I did a lot of searching the net last night and thought I had found it or at least a species (close relative) but now I am not sure! The plant looks fairly similar to some of the \"astilboides tabularis\" examples shown on the net but the plant in question has a very unique leaf and vein pattern of which I have not been to find a match.

Frank

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22780

Ittiz wrote:

The look of it seems planted. You sure some guy didn't plant it and die/forget about it? Or do you just dig in rows?

Ittiz - It does look that way doesnt it. The path on the right of the pic is actually a deer path. In the pic it appears that it could be growing in mounded rows, but in person you can tell that there is not mounded dirt. I dont know for sure how the patch was started, but I do know that it has been there for 30 plus years and that the same family has owned this ground for the past century, and to my knowledge they none of them have ever raised this type of crop. At least not in my lifetime.:)

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 11 months ago #22783

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Black cohosh - has commonly been used to treat symptoms of menopause, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), painful menstruation, acne, weakened bones (osteoporosis), and for starting labor in pregnant women.Black cohosh has also been tried for a lot of additional uses, such as anxiety, rheumatism, fever, sore throat, and cough, but it is not often used for these purposes these days.

My personal thoughts on this plant - Black Cohosh is very plentyful in most areas and usaly there is a market for it and that is the good part.The bad part is that market is up and down often with this root,but a good digger can do well even when the market is low but still does alot better when it is up.

Before you dig Black Cohosh it is good to check with the dealer that you are used to dealing with or one that you trust and find out the market before you dig to decide whether you want to dig it or not.I have friends that dig this root only in the winter as the weight and the market are usaly best in the winter as the root retains its medicinal value better and its wet to dry weight is much better as good as 2.50 to 1.00 and that is very good.

So there is realy two guides for me to post concernng the prophet of the labor with this one.

If the market is good a good digger can exspec to earn from $60.00 to $ 100.00 a day after it is dry
If the market is down a good digger can exspect to earn from $40.00 to $60.00

I have one digger that has been coming to me with his Black Cohosh for 3 years.He is realy good at digging the root.He averages around $120.00 a day if he works 8 hours at it.He is the best one I know at digging this root and he only digs it in the winter.When he brings his roots to me they are clean and dryed right he normaly brings any where from 1500 to 2200 dry pounds a season all at one time.

I only dig Black Cohosh in the winter myself the seed has been far sent out and the price is always better and once you learn it there is no problem spotting the plant after the top is dead.It is a very good winter plant.
Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22801

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Huntsman53 I finaly found out what this plant was for us.Here is the information.

The real name is Diphylleia Cymosa or Umbrela Leaf -

It is an ornamental plant of the Berberidaceae family, which is native of United States. It is endemic to the deciduous forests of the southeast United States and blooms in the late spring.This is not a common plant, so you're lucky to see it blooming in rich mountain woods.The plant has no medicinal values.

There you go man I also found a good picture of it for us to see.

Billy.

huntsman53 wrote:

Billy wrote:

Huntsman thank you and I am glad to share these with you all.

I sure no how it is to be sick and alot of hurting at times to.We will keep you in our prayers for sure man and hope that you can loose a little weight.I to am working on that I have lost 26 pounds so far.My goal before giunseng sseason is 50 pounds it is hard to do,but i am trying.

Billy,

Thanks and I hope you meet your goal!

I am sure that Hugh will agree that on Wednesday, we had a fairly productive and beneficial day of scouting for Ginseng and other herbal plants! Scouting at elevations from close to 4,000 feet upwards to 4,500 feet or more, we saw the significance of the recent cold spells on the plants. While we located probably more than 20 Ginseng plants, quite a few of the plants were in early development while in the more sunlit but frost protected spots, the plants were very well developed. It is my belief that there are truly more Ginseng plants in the areas we traveled but some of the plants have either not reared their' tops (heads) above the ground or if they have, they are small and still unrecognizable!

Concerning other sellable Herbal plants, it would suffice to say that we saw an abundance of plants that we could identify and a much larger abundance that we could not identify! We probably saw enough Beth Root to keep someone busy digging for months or even years. We also saw a fairly large abundance of Blood Root, Black Cohosh, Blue Cohosh, May Apple, Skunk Cabbage and Golden Seal. I saw one plant species (actually more than one species) that I was intrigued with and will post pictures as soon as possible in hopes that you or someone else can identify it. This (?) plant apparently is quite plentiful in the area we scouted on Wednesday but as far as I can recall, I have not seen much of this plant in other locations!

Frank

Picture #1

Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22802

Billy,

Thanks...You Da Man! It's nice to know that I made a fairly rare find and one that is unique within itself!

I noticed that Blue Cohosh is not on your' List (on your' Website) of items that you buy! Is there not a market for it? It seems much more rare to find than Black Cohosh but I have located quite a few plants on mine and Hugh's scouting trips!

In after-thought, it seems I hijacked your' Thread and for that I am truly sorry and apologize for doing so! I also want to apologize to the other members and non-members that look forward to and follow your' threads, posts and helpful information! In the future, I will create separate threads for any questions and help on plants that I find that are intriguing and of interest!

Frank

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and no members online

Login