2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: some highs and lows already

some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #22987

I have been doing some scouting of locations using my Google earth method and it's still amazing me. I've found a big patch that I believe will hold several lbs of dry sang and several smaller patches which will make for a nice haul this season if everything stays like it is. I have however, had some set backs at home with my seed patch. Moles have devastated my plants and I've placed mole traps and some stuff that the Co-op sells. I sure hope that it works. The remaining plants are starting to put up seed stems. I also had a patch that I have permission to dig but, the owner didn't let me know that he was going to have it logged and the loading deck was dug on some SUPER nice sang. That sang is now covered by about 10 feet of fill dirt. Oh well.:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #22988

Hunter that really sucks the sang was buried. I had some that was scrapped off when the land owner expanded his yard into the woods. He probably pushed over 1,000 6-year old plants over the ridge with the dozer.
Secondly, I use google earth as well for finding spots to plant seed and am sure it would work well for spots to find seng.
Latt

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #22989

That stinks hunter I also use my GPS to find shang I found two nice patches last yr with it n have a few places to check this yr about ubout ur mole prob I dont know if u like usin poisonsbut there is a type u put in there tunnels that works really well n dont effect other animals

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #22994

Glad to hear you are having some good scouting success. I really havent had any time to get any scouting in. Been putting in 60+ hour weeks at work. I havechecked on my plantings and overall they seem to be doing ok.

I have seen a couple of old patches of sang taken out by logging roads this spring too, so I feel your pain brother. I also know of a couple of spots where gas and oil pipelines have gone right through the middle of wild sang patches. I understand why there are laws concerning the digging of this plant, but just dont appreciate the irony of letting big business destroy it at will.......

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #23001

I cant imagine seeing a patch that would hold several lbs of seng. The most I see of diggable seng in one area might be 20-30 roots, and even then that is not the norm.

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #23014

maya wrote:

I cant imagine seeing a patch that would hold several lbs of seng. The most I see of diggable seng in one area might be 20-30 roots, and even then that is not the norm.

Hunter may have found someone's simulated patches?

rootman

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #23033

Hobbler, you must be located in NY. I can tell by your screen name. (Ny'ers call it shang instead of seng Lol!) I live in Johnstown, NY myself. Although I am a transplant from WV. I have scouted a little in Otsego county and was surprised to not find any seng. The dealer my uncle sells to in WV says that NY has the best quality seng, period! I would like to be able to find some. However finding someone who ginsengs is a chore in itself for one. And then finding someone to let you on their property is almost impossible! I go back to WV every year to go with my uncle, but that only amounts to maybe a half-dozen days in the woods. Sure wish I could extend that more. Already getting the fever!!!

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 10 months ago #23034

Carlm u nailed it im in gouverneur NY n im blessed cause my grandafather had a feed n fertlizer bussniess n I use to go with him on deliveries n got to now alot of farmers n most let me dig on there land I know how u feel bout findin land but keep askin all they can say is no n sooner or later someone will let u on

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 8 months ago #23488

Hunter how do you use Google Earth to actually find Ginseng. I have found some great locations here in North Alabama on the Mountain Bluffs but would love to know who to set my settings to see the \"Earth\" like you are actually seeing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Re:some highs and lows already 10 years 8 months ago #23495

papamark wrote:

Hunter how do you use Google Earth to actually find Ginseng. I have found some great locations here in North Alabama on the Mountain Bluffs but would love to know who to set my settings to see the \"Earth\" like you are actually seeing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Look for a good general area and then put it in topo mode and look for some drainages within that area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Who's Online

We have 829 guests and no members online

Login