2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: "Amending rules in Vermont"

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 9 months ago #23069

maya, So is there going to be an exception for wild sim growers?

I sure hope they keep the growers in mind. Also, I dont think the buyers are going to count the age of every root.

The more rules and regulations with ginseng (and everything else) the worse off we will be.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 9 months ago #23070

Nothing is specified for growers lenno.

Again, there are not more rules, simple changes to existing rules! If they are not counting scars now they probably won't if they switch from 5 to ten scars. It's the same rules, just the age/number is a proposed change.

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 9 months ago #23071

Guys,

In the wild, about any two prong ginseng is going to have 5 or 6 bud scars and the diggers know this ( even though it is s supposed to be a three prong ) so maybe a 10 year age might curb this somewhat.

rootman

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 9 months ago #23083

Interesting discussion. I could be wrong but I doubt that buyers are able to completely keep track of how old the ginseng is. My uncle usually sells 7lbs or more seng each year. Do you know how long it would take a buyer to visually inspect each root? It would be extremely time consuming for a buyer who buys volume amounts to inspect each and every root. If I had to guess, this law is intended to bring in revenue from dealer fines for missed roots or eventually ban the digging of ginseng altogether. I hope it's not the case but banning seems to be the most logical. You don't hear the government howling at the coal companies, loggers or even housing or other developments that destroy more ginseng than any hunter could. I will not be favored for stating that the government crying about ginseng becoming extinct is overrated. My uncle Sam and uncle Russell as well as most if not all of the fine hunters/diggers on this forum will tell you as good a seng hunter they are, they will still miss some. Some years it doesn't even come up. The tops get eaten off and can't even be seen by a digger. Years like last year where some places seng died off because of drought and in my case the poplar blight that killed it off. There are so many scenarios out there. I agree we should be diligent and do our part, I just think the danger of extinction has been way over stated.

Re:"Amending rules in Vermont" 10 years 9 months ago #23084

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 9 months ago #23085

CarlM.

I agree. and I do think it's up to the diggers to manage their harvesting, that is beneficial to the future of ginseng for years to come.

rootman

Re:\"Amending rules in Vermont\" 10 years 8 months ago #23102

Last year I was finding 3 prongs that were average plant size but some of the roots were 50 plus then I found a couple 5 prongs that were only 20 plus.its very hard to tell the age just buy the prongs but with the rules gives that younger sheng a bit to grow up so I'm all game for it.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 169 guests and no members online

Login