2017 Fall/Winter Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out. Order your seed today!
* Ginseng Rootlets: SOLD OUT
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Logging kill ginseng?

Re:Logging kill ginseng? 4 years 2 months ago #24223

Here in Mississippi when hardwoods are clear cut the property is 99% of the time planted back in pines. We have mostly pine plantations in the county I live in where thirty years ago it was big hardwood timber. The ginseng hardly ever survives the clear cutting and when it does it's always in a SMZ (stream side management zone). That's a small strip of timber left to prevent erosion around streams with running water. I think the main reason the ginseng doesn't survive is because after the timber is cleared the property is sprayed with a chemical to kill the hardwood regrowth before it is replanted with the pines. Mississippi's summers are usually extremely hot and dry and plants in a clearing wouldn't last through the month of June. Even though older plants might survive for a while, seedlings would burn up their first year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Logging kill ginseng? 4 years 2 months ago #24295

Get into those other spots gijoey. You wont have any fun while there but after you get out you should be happy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 61 guests and one member online