2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: opening day....

opening day.... 10 years 7 months ago #24210

got out and dug around 20 oz. today...if we don't get rain here in the next 10 days, two weeks its going to be a short season here..i found 5 plants today that were just burnt up brown and dead...but a short season will beat last years 'no season'.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:opening day.... 10 years 7 months ago #24213

Thats a good start Chief! Good to hear from ya. I think it will stand till mid october here, unless we get a hard frost before then which definately isnt out of the question considering the cooler nights weve been having. I wore a long sleve shirt until 11 am yesterday. A lot of plants in that area still had green berries. Ended up with 14 ounces yesterday.

Only saw one plant just starting to turn yellow
Attachments:

Re:opening day.... 10 years 7 months ago #24227

Glad to hear you're finding some Chief.

Nice 4 prong 5. About all the berries here are red and falling.

I guess I planted 100 red berries Thu. and Fri. and also I took 3 or 400 seeds from my seed beds and planted about 10 seeds anywhere I dug a plant.

Re:opening day.... 10 years 7 months ago #24230

Finding most berries already fell here and about 1/4 are already full yellow with 5% or so already golden. Our extreme lack of rain here is killing us. 30% chance of isolated showers here and no rain in 2-3 weeks at least with no rain forecast after today for the next 2 weeks. Was a good start to the year on moisture but the total lack of it at the 2nd half of the season is yellowing them out fast.
Paul

Re:opening day.... 10 years 7 months ago #24235

Chief - good to hear from you - it's been a while.

Also glad you are getting to find some this year. It is a real bummer when you have a short season or no season at all.

We had a real short one a couple years ago and that just stinks.

We have had a great year this year, plenty of rain, seng is looking good for the most part and on my last big hunt Sept 5 I found most with a mix of red and green berries. I think all the rain we had this summer has delayed the reddning of the berries a bit. Usually by the first week in Sept here they are mostly red.

Been crappie fishing lately ? Our Church had a mens wild game cookout not long ago and one guy brought a bunch of crappie filets - MAN those were good.
Best fish I have ate in a long while.

Hope you find a big ole pile this year !

TNhunter

Re:opening day.... 10 years 6 months ago #24740

good to hear from you my friends .been busy but I managed to get out and dig some root. its going to be a short season here hope you guys got more rain than we did in the last 60 days...

Re:opening day.... 10 years 6 months ago #24767

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Het Chief glad to see that you are getting to dig some this season. Even if it is shorter than usal like you said it will beat the fire out of no season at all. I always like to see our digs man some of the best,,take care.

Re:opening day.... 10 years 6 months ago #24773

Cheif glad to see you are getting to dig some....good luck to you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 453 guests and no members online

Login