2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Saturday Oct. 19th

Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25781

Went out for 3 hours this morning...here's my haul...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25788

That is a pretty good haul for only 3 hours of hunting and digging. Congrats!

I was going to Turkey hunt and scout fot seng in the NF today but my' back went out again and I can hardly even walk. I hope that none of you end up with back problems like me!

Frank

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25791

Good haul Hawkeye! What part of the state u live brother? By the way Frank I hope ur back gets better my man! I've got bad knees and people that don't have these problems don't know how good they hav it!!!

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25792

Sorry to hear about your back Frank. I'm going back out to that spot early tomorrow morning. Just went out to scout that area and it turned out to be good.

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25793

Thanks bawhite. I live in Maryville, a little south of Knoxville in Blount county. Where you at?

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25796

Thanks for the kind words guys! I have had back trouble ever since AIT at Fort Dix, New Jersey. We were on bivouac in March of 1973 and Sarge had four of us lift a 55 gallon drum full of water off the back of a Deuce and a half (2 1/2 ton Cargo truck). I was on the right side and the lifting caused my' pelvis to pop out of place. Spent the next 5 years in the U.S. Army suffering and could get nothing done about it. A Chiropractor found the problem after I got out, popped it back in and showed me how to pop it back in if it came out of place again. However, the damage had been done and it took a toll on the disks in my' back. The first time I suffered a ruptured disk while hunting, I had to crawl 100 yards or more back to the car. The second time it went out, I had to crawl nearly a mile to the car. I have suffered back trouble and pain for more than 2/3rds of my life and it has not been fun.

Frank

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25797

Hawkeye wrote:

Thanks bawhite. I live in Maryville, a little south of Knoxville in Blount county. Where you at?

Hawkeye,

I would bet that you still have some pretty good spots down that way with Ginseng. I grew up in Knox and Sevier Counties and now live in Jefferson County. Most of the spots that I hunted Ginseng when I was a kid, have been purchased up by out of staters or by Condo and Cabin Rentals and almost everything is posted nowadays.

Frank

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25799

Thanks for serving Frank. I myself spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. There are some good spots and good seng around here. A lot of places have been dug out by greedy people though.

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25800

Hawkeye wrote:

Thanks for serving Frank. I myself spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. There are some good spots and good seng around here. A lot of places have been dug out by greedy people though.

Thank you for your service as well! I know what you mean about greedy folk! A guy from the Newport area got caught a couple of years ago with over 25 pounds of Ginseng dug out of the National Park. They now dye the roots of all of the plants that they can find in the Park and the bigger ones, they place tracking chips inside of the roots.

Frank

Re:Saturday Oct. 19th 10 years 5 months ago #25801

I've heard that they are doing that. I went on a hike, not a scouting trip, in the Smokey Mountains a few weeks ago and spotted the biggest 4 prong I've ever seen. The berry pod was bigger around than a golf ball. I couldn't believe all the berries it had. I wanted to snap it off and plant the berries so someone else wouldn't poach it.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 550 guests and no members online

Login