2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@!

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26118

• bellco ky
  • bellco ky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • digging sein and making memories! ahh good times
FWHedrick wrote:

I agree the poaching needs to stop. All I was saying is in some areas its not the biggest problem. I think the age limit law is not the way to fix the problem either. I dug little three prongs this year that had four inch curls and a bulb root the size of a dime. I replanted them but a lot of people wouldnt. I think we need a law for minimum size roots not stalks. Sometimes I will dig a big three or four prong with a large berry pod and a small root. I always replant these if the root is undamaged. They are worth more as a seed producing plant than a dollar or two for a small dry root.

f
Hwfredrick.. you sound like a true digger was not trying to argue with u ,as this is just my opinion. I respect they way go about replanting. My apologies sir ,if I sounded like a prick. Just feed up with 3 leave diggers and 2prongs. And very small threes. St least let them get big enough to produce berries. I didn't know what you stated above about leaving inch of a coil it would still produce berries. Please accept my apologies if I offended you , was not my intentions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26169

You didn't upset me. I know poaching is bad. I hate to see anybody dig a three leaf. Its so stupid to start with because they dry up to nothing. I call it a curl you call it a coil a lot of people call it the neck. But yes is you leave a piece of it in the ground. It will more than likely send up a stalk each year and eventually form a new root.p

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26170

Personally even though its a good conservation practice for seed production. It is very disapointing to find a huge stalk with just a curl or really small root.

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26182

Ah! Yes it is, I've had it happen to me. These had been dug in the same season I found them. They were still alive, had about 3 notches and a bud. LOL

FWHedrick wrote:

Personally even though its a good conservation practice for seed production. It is very disapointing to find a huge stalk with just a curl or really small root.

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26260

The worst part of the whole thing is that shutting down ginseng season won't stop the poachers. They're already poaching and nothing will change for them except less competition.

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26317

I don't think they will shut down ginseng season any time soon. But we all need to figure out a way to replant a lot of seed or plants in places that ginseng has been overharvested or it may happen someday. There should be a big fine for those digging out of season and the ones buying it. The fine should be more the smaller the plants. Digging first year three leafs is ridiculous. They would dry up to nothing. As I stated before I think there should be restrictions on small roots no matter how old they are.

Re:oh no what do what to do!!!@!!@! 10 years 5 months ago #26328

Who would dig up a three leafer? I wouldn't think a three leafer root would be worth more than the seed it grew from.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 137 guests and no members online

Login