2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2000+ acres

2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26348

I am looking for a digging buddy for next season. I have access to over 2000 acres to hunt seng on. Last season I spent about 12 hours on part of it and dug just over 3 pounds wet. Its wilderness. Its a long, high slope that faces dead north. Its right up against the Smokey Mountain National Park. The very top is where the park line begins. Its too steep in places for my digging buddy (my girlfriend), she likes the flat stuff. I didn't dig on it this year because of that. I'm positive that it was untouched this year. Anyone who lives in east Tennessee or who would be interested in digging some seng out this way let me know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26349

Hawkeye,
I think that I hunted the same place this year that you are talking about. They gave me permission to hunt there and I dug for a few days and for such a large place it was not as productive as I would have thought. Most of what I found was along the road going in and it looked like it might have been planted 20-30 years ago. It is such rugged territory that my wife could not get around very well on it. The off road sections did not seem to be areas that supported ginseng. Very few place had companion plants. That bring said, I'm sure that there is some ginseng growing somewhere in the back country areas on that property. Good luck if you try it next year.
Hugh

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26350

Hugh,
This property is in Blount County. There is one way in, one way out. There are two homes at the base of the mountain. There are fields that run the length at the base. The tree line is about a half mile off the private road, it isn't close to the road anywhere. You must be talking of a different spot. There is bloodroot everywhere there. You could probably fill the bed of a pickup in a day it is that thick in places. The hollars are covered with cohosh, maidens hair, bloodroot and star root is everywhere as well. The lower section just inside the treeline has barbed wire running parallel with the base...the fields have cattle on them.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26353

Hey Hawkeye I'm sure u can have ur pic from any of us from east tn, lol. I'm from Lafollette myself and I believe with access to 2000 acres finding someone to go with u won't be a problem! When the time comes I say take ur pic. Everyone i hav talked to seems to be like me and loves to dig! But as always and anyone will tell u (if they are truthful) Be Careful of anyone u would introduce to a place with ginseng on it. This being said when the time comes and ur still looking for someone to hunt with let us know and we will try to get together.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26354

Hawkeye,
Your right. The property that I'm talking about is in Sevier County. It also has one way in and one way out, but the tree line comes right down to the road in most places. It has ton of Rhodo and gets very little sun. There are no fields to speak of except at the very top of the mountain. It would take a good mountain goat to get around on most of this property. Your area sounds like LRT mountain. All the companion plants sound right too. If you ever want to talk ginseng my email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hugh

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26355

Hawkeye,

I live in Jefferson County and I am up for hunting with you next year, if you still want or need a Ginseng hunting partner! I grew up in Knox County, then later in Sevier County and am not only very familiar with the area, the terrain and geology but have also hunted Ginseng for 45 years.

My' telephone number is: (865) 221-9443

Thanks!

Frank Ferrell

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26359

Hawkeye,

You all have star root growing where ginseng grows? I usually find it in dryer areas. if you want to hook up for some grub root send me an email.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26363

hey hawkeye I was working some over around heritage high school and could see some big mountains back eowards the smokies . I never did get a chance to go check it out .like you my wife is my digging buddy and don't care much for the rough stuff but that's where the good stuff is at .me I like the rough stuff give me a call ill even share some spots 250 9668 also looking for good honest people to hunt with

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26384

Hey chicks,
That mountain you can see from heritage I drive by everyday. I've not checked it out but have thought about it. Thanks everyone for your interest. I love hunting seng like all of you. I'm willing to share some spots with someone honest because I enjoy it so much. I'm not a greedy person. I'm working on getting access to a few more somewhat secluded areas. One of which I'd guess is about 15, 000-20, 000 acres. I've got everyones number and look forward to doing some sengin next year.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 5 months ago #26385

Hawkeye,
It is nice of you to offer to take some folk to your spots. I am an Eastern Ohio boy originally and have walked the foothills. Would love to scale some real mountains someday tho.

Not my place to give advice so please forgive me in advance. But I saw some fellas post their general as well as their specific hunting areas on a morel mushroom forum one time only to find every lurker on the internet hunting morels in their spots. I would hate to see anyone take advantage of your generosity by jumping your spots. Just never know who is reading these post. I know our forum members would not do that but there are many lurkers out there.

A fellas personal hunting spot is sacred in my eyes. I have showed a few former friends my secrete spots to hunt morels and seng only to find out they went back to that spot without me.

Once they do that they are out of the loop. I have other friends tho that will not do that to me and I am happy to show them my spots as they only go there when I invite them.

I have permission from a property owner to hunt a 93 acre woods anytime I want. Deer, Morels or seng etc. However, a buddy of mine has been hunting the same 93 acres for over 20 years. I consider it his spot and I will not go in there unless he invites me to do so.

Even the property owner does not understand why I will not go in there because he gave me permission. As far as I am concerned it is my buddies spot and those kind of spots are sacred to us woodsmen and only are available if the person ask me to go with them.
That how I roll.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 373 guests and no members online

Login