2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: old Lonesome Leroy

old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26464

got out for a little bit today to see what i could find the ginseng is all most gone i found old Lonesome Leroy standing by its self i left it but i am going back next year to check this place out i all most missed it ginseng here in south central Kentucky is just about gone i had a great time this season the ticks chiggers and poison ivy i would do it all over again after watching billys ginseng videos i just knew i was going to find the monster of all ginseng roots but i didn't but i had a blast trying to but there's always next year can any one tell me what is a good tick repellent for seed ticks them dang things get on you my the hundreds Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26466

Kyhilldigger,
I'm a fellow KY digger. I am on the pike letcher line in eastern, KY but I was responding to your tick question. I've been a field biologist for the last 12 years and have had many of run in with chiggers, ticks, biting flies but the only tried and true method of repelling these blood suckers is to go to your local pharmacy and get you a bottle of powder sulphur. It's got a loud smell but if you dust your clothes with it, you don't have to worry about the bugs. I assure you that. One of my old professors at Morehead State told me about it and I've used it ever since. I've yet to find anything to keep from smelling like a rotten egg but after hiking around these mountains in september, chances are you'll smell like a pole cat anyway. Good luck and good hunting. I like the frosty three prong pic. Just a testament to the perseverance of the finest plant in the woods.

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26470

Permethrin is supposed to work well. You spray your clothes good and let them dry before wearing them. They say it's safe as long as you let it dry, and it's unscented.

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26474

I got into chiggers in the first of the season. It got bad to the point of a couple infections. I went back to the Marine corp days of banding my pant legs at bottom and also wore long john bottoms inside boots. Worked for me thru the rest of season...or maybe there just wasnt another place on me for them to bite..i dont know. but i would most def rather smell like sulfur then to deal with them again.

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26476

it sounds bad but i got friends that wear womens pantyhose. the seed ticks cant get through it or bite you through it. they guarantee it works. me personally i just cant make myself wear them.but if your in seed ticks real bad it works.

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26478

The permethrin works great best u can get and doesn't stick I wore it all year never got any bites stuff is incrediable

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26495

kentuckyhilldigger... Congrats on finding old Lonesome Leroy! That top would have been tough to find for even the most experienced Ginseng Hunter/Digger. My daughter makes her own Bug Repellent using herbs and it works well on warding off mosquitoes, gnats and flies but I am not sure about chiggers and ticks. I will see if I can get the recipe and post it.

Frank

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26500

Hilldigger, where are ya from bro? im in central ky. Winchester/clark co. I am looking for spots to hunt with bigger hills then around here. I can offer an exchange of places, maybe some work done, beer, r/and a thank you. This applies for all Ky diggers. Not sure how the out of state harvest works or i would ask/offer this to all. Deuces guys
Attachments:

Re:old Lonesome Leroy 10 years 5 months ago #26502

kentuckyhilldigger...

On those seed ticks - MAN we have them BAD down here in Middle TN too. I hate those things. Don't care much for chiggars either.

REPEL makes a product (link below) that works great. It kills them dead as soon as they get on your clothing.

www.amazon.com/Repel-Permethrin-Repellen...p;keywords=permanone

It is not for spraying on your skin (if you do it can make some nasty red places blister like - so don't do that - my cousin did that one time and it was not nice), but instead you pre-treat your clothing, pants, shirt, etc... let it dry and then put them on after it dries.

I actually use a combination of Repel Permethrin and Repel Spray (40% Deet) and that works well at stopping both ticks, seed ticks, and chiggars / mosquito's.

How you dress can make a big difference in how many of those seed ticks, or ticks in general get to sink their teeth into you.

I start with wearing two pairs of thin cotton socks. These are long socks that come up just below knee.

I put on one pair and pull them up high. Then put on my pants and fold my pants leg around at the bottom and then put on the second pair of socks and pull that up over the folded over pants leg.

Then I put on my boots and I spray good around the top of my boots and pants legs.

That just denies easy access to skin and sort of forces them to continue climbing up (rather than just going up your pants legs and getting easy access to the goods).

As they climb up they are climbing over pants leg that has been treated with Permethrin and 40% deet. Wipes them out.

Do the same type thing with your shirt tail. Tuck it in good and keep it tucked in and spray good around your belt line and lower half of your shirt.

All of that sounds like a lot of trouble, and it is a little trouble, but it is not near as bad as scratching your skin off the next couple weeks. I have been there and done that - it's much worse.

Good Luck

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and no members online

Login