2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: How much you dig?

How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26507

Hey fellas,
Thought it would be interesting to start a post about how much everyone dug dry weight this season. Thought it would be good to list the state you are in and how many pounds dry you dug and purchased seed planted.
Let me start off.

Latt in Ohio 0 lbs dug (1 1/4 lb seed planted).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26516

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26519

I dug about half pound dry at this time. I have prepped 3/4 acre clearing and building raised beds for planting 40 lb or so.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26520

Dug and sold 14 pounds 2.6 oz wild dry this season in Missouri.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26529

Will. KY. 0 lbs dug. 4 lbs planted wild sim
6x12 raised bed with 1 root and 4 seeds per sqft

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26533

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Cool Thread Latt I will join in with you fellas.....

I did not get to go as much as I would love to or always did, but it was fun every trip and I had some great digs every trip but one and it was still a great trip.

I have not yet planted for this season,but I have 2 pounds of seed to plant this month and a friend sent me 1/4 pound of new seed to try. So I will be planting 2 1/4 pounds.

To the best guess that I can give in the past 3 years I planted around 20,000 seeds and I had about 2,500 3 year olds up 2,000 or so 2 year olds up and 3,500 1 year olds up this season. All of this seed was planted as a wild seed would fall. No assistance or help has been giving by me. The outcome is a lot less survivors compared to the ratio of survivors that I have learned from others on this forum who have assisted there seeds in growth. I am satisfied however with the way the outcome has been in this adventure.

I have also planted about 10,000 seeds that I have never returned to check on in the past 3 years and don't no for sure when I will, but maybe in or around 2020 if it be the Lords will.

Here is a few photo`s of My dry root this season minus the 3 largest roots of 5 ounces 5 1/2 ounces 6 7/8 ounces. Those where sold green to help the DR: and his medical work concerning wild ginseng.

I ended up having 4 lb 11 ounces I was very happy for what time I got to go into the Great Mountains Of KY and TN I did not get to hunt VA this season.

All of the roots in this flat are 30+ years old.

Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26534

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Photo of all the other roots

Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26535

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
To my delight our good friend Hugh came up to see me today we sit and talked and enjoyed the time we spent together and I showed him my roots and got a photo of him. Thanks Hugh for stopping by it was a pleasure to have you.

Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26537

Mountains of North Carolina. Dug 2 lbs 7 oz.Planted about 1800 seeds and about 75 rootlets.I doubled what I planted last year and hope to do the same next year.I'm not a seng farmer just a guy that likes to farm n seng.Thanks to all for all the great conversations this year. Looking forward to what next year has to offer. To everything there is a season!

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26540

chris, Ky..first year ever hunting. found first plants...twin 3 prongs, by myself...\"thank god for berries\" and then it was on. rarely missed a day, rain or shine. I learned from you guys as i went. was hard as i knew not where they grew at first. started paying towards the end. over 6 pounds dry. got robbed a bit on prices at first but found a good one towards the end. also on my first ever hunt day i found a 5 prong almost to my waist with a golfball sized seed pod. ON MY FIRST DAY. with in an hr of hunt start. i didnt even take a pic. i didnt know how special it was. I had a real good time this season and cant wait till next. next year im going to be a plantin fool. investing in my kids and future grand kids. happy hunting guys

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 451 guests and no members online

Login