2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to the Hunt

New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27008

• TnTom
  • TnTom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Retired - Love fishing, hunting, & getting along
Years ago I was tending an old Tennessee farmers 200 acres for him, we raised beef about 40 head. He had lost the use of his legs and only made it out to the farm on Saturdays but it was a great opportunity for me to learn something new. One day a knock on the door I met a man and his son who knew the owner and had made arrangements with him years before to dig Ginseng, In hand was a cardboard box with 10 quarts of homemade molasses he handed to me as he introduced himself and explained what he had been doing over the years that he new Mel and just wanted to let me know who he was and wanted to know if I would allow him to to continue. Well I often thought about following him (never thought about asking him to teach me how it was done) but to me it seemed sneaky on my part and I aborted the idea. He cam out each summer for the next 5 years bringing his molasses and heading back up into the hollow. Ive since moved and Mel passed years ago and the farm has been subdivided but the idea of hunting Ginseng still lingers and now that Im retired and have plenty of time on my hands and live in a great area that I have access to I know what Im going to be doing this summer as I metal-detect and now see if I can really find the magic root. I live in prime a Ginseng hardwoods and hollows part Tn so as long as my legs hold out I sure will try my luck at it. I really appreciate all the excellent forum facts and cautions you have pointed out and promise I will be a good husband to the culture.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27009

Hello Tom,
Welcome to the hunt. To get the season off to an early start I would suggest that you see if you can find a few seeds and get out there and plant them in places that you might consider hunting this coming season. There is nothing like walking back through country where you have added new plants and seeing them progress each coming year. They will reward you down the road. Good luck on your new sport.

Hugh

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27010

Welcome to Wildgrown.com TnTom.
Sounds like you like the woods. I would recommend you hook up with a local seng hunter friend if you know one and he or she can help you.

Like Hugh said and I am paraphrasing. Its always good to plant more seng seed than you dig. So yes we welcome you and will help you in any way we can and anyone else for that matter that will practice good stewardship in the woods.
If we all put more back than we take, ginseng will have a chance.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27011

TnTom,
Welcome to the forum and hopefully an enjoyable venture for yourself. Nothing like being in nature in search of this elusive plant and to know it is better off for you being there while getting paid a little for your time. When I say a little, a man is not going to get rich by no means but what other hobby do you not spend money on but get some in return.

Happy Hunting

Hillhopper

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27026

• TnTom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hugh, Latt, Hopper thanks for the welcome. Im ordering some seeds and will get them in over the month of February. Im looking forward to this, there has never been a moment in the woods that hasn't been special and this experience will be a great way to wrap it up. I'd really like to leave something special for the next man who wanders these hills.
This site is a real contribution thanks to all who has made it so special.

Tom

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27033

Welcome to the forum Tom! I hope that you will stay with us and share some Ginseng hunting adventures and pics in the future! I live in Jefferson City and if you are fairly close by and need help learning to find Ginseng and facts about the plants, don't hesitate to call on me by sending me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .....

Frank

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 3 months ago #27056

• TnTom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Frank,
I see you live East of Knox about 180 miles from home here in Woodbury Tn and your right in the middle of what Im gathering a great part of Tn for the hunt. I used to head out that way when I attended Oak Ridge Sportmans Club for some long range shooting matches. Its been a while as gas and the likes of made it harder and harder to head that way. Im thinking Ive actually looked at Ginseng not totally sure at the time but with all the great photo's Ive been admiring picking it out in the future should be straight forward, an experienced digger pointing it out would be worth its weight in Ginseng!

Ginseng Seed: sold out, Summer& Fall/2014 shipment orders will be accepted starting on 3/01/2014 has me wondering will this be in time for spring planting? Is there other source that anyone might suggest that could provide seed now? Any advantage to not waiting? I will be planting in zone 6 middle Tn.

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 2 months ago #27421

Hello. I am an avid hunter of fungi mainly morel. Have been doing it for about 35 years now and usually average about 30 lbs or so. I have just recently been learning about the wonderful worldB) of root hunting and intend to join in on the fun this year. I have been learning alot from the forum topics on here but do have a few questions of my own. Other than Ginseng, what other roots are profitable for hunting for. Where is the best place to sell them. And does anyone know a good buyer fro fresh morels as and what the price per pound is as I seem to get and over abundance every year. Thank you and I appreciate whatever feed back I can get.

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 2 months ago #27425

midwestmorelman74 wrote:

Hello. I am an avid hunter of fungi mainly morel. Have been doing it for about 35 years now and usually average about 30 lbs or so. I have just recently been learning about the wonderful worldB) of root hunting and intend to join in on the fun this year. I have been learning alot from the forum topics on here but do have a few questions of my own. Other than Ginseng, what other roots are profitable for hunting for. Where is the best place to sell them. And does anyone know a good buyer fro fresh morels as and what the price per pound is as I seem to get and over abundance every year. Thank you and I appreciate whatever feed back I can get.

midwestmorelman74,

Welcome to the Wildgrown forums! We hope you will stay with us and share some stories of Shroom harvesting and future root hunts and digs!

I believe you can find out almost everything you need to know in the Thread \"Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational\" post by Billy Taylor with a link included below. Billy buys Ginseng as well as many other herb roots and plants and the Thread is very educational and informing.

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...for-2013-Season.html

Good luck and your future hunts!

Frank

Re:New to the Hunt 10 years 2 months ago #27426

TnTom wrote:

Frank,
I see you live East of Knox about 180 miles from home here in Woodbury Tn and your right in the middle of what Im gathering a great part of Tn for the hunt. I used to head out that way when I attended Oak Ridge Sportmans Club for some long range shooting matches. Its been a while as gas and the likes of made it harder and harder to head that way. Im thinking Ive actually looked at Ginseng not totally sure at the time but with all the great photo's Ive been admiring picking it out in the future should be straight forward, an experienced digger pointing it out would be worth its weight in Ginseng!

Ginseng Seed: sold out, Summer& Fall/2014 shipment orders will be accepted starting on 3/01/2014 has me wondering will this be in time for spring planting? Is there other source that anyone might suggest that could provide seed now? Any advantage to not waiting? I will be planting in zone 6 middle Tn.

TnTom,

If you ever head out this way to scout or hunt/dig Ginseng and need some help, give me a call at (865) 221-9443 or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ... If I do not answer the phone, leave me a message or text me at the same number. If I do not have any pressing matters to take care of, I will make time to help you out.

I don't think that there is really any seed available at this time but don't hold me to that statement! I have checked around and cannot find any. If some Dealers/Suppliers beging selling Statified Seed again around March 1st and you purchase some, that should give you plenty of time to get the seed into the ground. As long as you get them in the ground by around early to mid May, they should be okay. Please understand that the seed that you purchase this Spring, more than likely has not gone through the 18 months of dormancy that Ginseng normally requires before germination. In other words, the seed will probably not come up this year but should come up in 2015.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 437 guests and no members online

Login