2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: billy,s show

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28486

TN Hunter,
I guess that I'm sort of like you in respect to burls. I've seen a few through the years, but I did not know they had any value. I found one high on the mountain the other day and I showed it to Carolyn because she had seen the segment on Filthy Riches and did not know what they really looked like. There is another large oak just a few hundred yards from the house. I just did not know they were worth any thing. I guess were all learning from Filthy Riches.
Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28489

TnTrader that is a good looking piece of burl.

So do you harvest them yourself for personal use (are you a woodworker ?), or to re-sale ? If you sell them - about what would you get for a piece like that one ?

Hugh... yep like you I know I have seen a bunch of those over the years. I always just thought it was a odd looking growth on the tree - never knew they were worth something.

A fellow could spot those while seng hunting and GPS them.. then harvest them in the winter months.

I have a nephew that works in a fancy cabinet shop in North Carolina... they make some high end stuff for rich folks over there.. I bet he might be interested in some burl wood. I only see him a couple times a year... but I will ask next time I do.

TNhunter

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28493

I hunt burl strictly for my own use. Money can be made from green burl if you can get some volume. Dry , ready to turn burl is far more valuable but drying time is months to years. That maple I posted a pic of has been drying for nearly two years. It has no checks, no splits and would sell for upwards of a hundred dollars as is. It has far more value as a finished piece. If I make two clcks from it they would likely go for around 250 each. Or, as I plan to do, I can turn a vase from it with an ebony or bloodwood base and rim and get about 600+.

Raw burl can be sold by the pound to a specialty lumber dealer but you would need a good bit to really make much money.

If you find some maple, walnut, or oak burl on your place , or hackberry wood , there are a few nearby cabinet shops that would pay well for it.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28496

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
TNhunter we are not on the 2nd and the 4th episodes we are on the 1st 3rd and the last 4 they had to do that because there was 5 different cast members and you can only show 4 in a 1 hr episode so they took turns with each cast.

I think that if the show goes to a season 2 the cast members will be separated some for better story lines etc.

Thank you TnTrader for that information. I am really interested in drying some for my own use also. I had never knows as TNhunter said and Hugh that they where worth any thing much but I am learning that they are. I doubt that I will ever do it to sell but I am wanting to try my hand at some wood work from them. I would love to see a wild cherry or black walnut like that.

Billy.

TnTrader wrote:

I hunt burl strictly for my own use. Money can be made from green burl if you can get some volume. Dry , ready to turn burl is far more valuable but drying time is months to years. That maple I posted a pic of has been drying for nearly two years. It has no checks, no splits and would sell for upwards of a hundred dollars as is. It has far more value as a finished piece. If I make two clcks from it they would likely go for around 250 each. Or, as I plan to do, I can turn a vase from it with an ebony or bloodwood base and rim and get about 600+.

Raw burl can be sold by the pound to a specialty lumber dealer but you would need a good bit to really make much money.

If you find some maple, walnut, or oak burl on your place , or hackberry wood , there are a few nearby cabinet shops that would pay well for it.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28503

Two cherry vase blanks and one large black walnut bowl blank. The walnut I plan to rough turn next week. I still havent decided what to do with the cherry yet. I have four cherry ready, maybe a set of goblets.
Attachments:

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28506

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
That is beautiful wood TnTrader...................

TnTrader wrote:

Two cherry vase blanks and one large black walnut bowl blank. The walnut I plan to rough turn next week. I still havent decided what to do with the cherry yet. I have four cherry ready, maybe a set of goblets.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28542

Billy LOVE the show. Also enjoy the thanking of our Lord!!! I think I've read the entire forum over the last year but joined to thank you for keeping the show honest!! Latt,hillhopper, whitjr thanks for all the info. Planting this fall in northeast PA 2014

Hezzy

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28548

Finally got to see the show Billy, great job. And a great show. I have been burl hunting since I was about 16, a lot of knife companies buy smaller burls for making pocket knife handles. I never knew about the bloodworms, that seems very interesting.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 10 months ago #28599

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Thank you Hezzy and Mortis for your compliments

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 136 guests and no members online

Login