2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast?

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28720

The first thing my cousin told me when she said she was going to teach me about hunting ginseng was \"I'm going to show you an old secret that was passed down to me, but you have to keep this quiet, and you have to keep your locations secret\".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28735

Hobler666shang wrote:

I'm with u Maya. I'm in NY and know there's twice as many shangers here than what I think. We r definitely keep to ur self kinda people. As for big roots I've seen some of you're big roots u dug n I dug well over a hundred roots that weighed over a oz green last yr my best yr ever. 97hd u probably have got one of those special place that have been forgotten about keep it secret keep it safe lol. Please take pics n post um happy hunting all this yr.

Wow, congrats Hobler. That's a haul!

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28736

Mortis wrote:

The first thing my cousin told me when she said she was going to teach me about hunting ginseng was \"I'm going to show you an old secret that was passed down to me, but you have to keep this quiet, and you have to keep your locations secret\".

Same here Mortis. I don't tell anyone except to ask permission to dig someones property.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28742

Interesting post, this compassion of northeastern and southeastern.

First, welcome to the forum, 97HTSTFL!

Like Latt has suggested, I would interested , to see any photo that you would be willing to share.... Just don't show how to get to your patches...

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28744

Whit jr, I disagree, I would like a detailed map to the patches:)

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28749

LOL.

Some of the luck the some folks have, such as 97HTSTFL has, is enviable.... Would be like a dream come true for me.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28794

The only truely \"breathtaking\" woods in my area that was fully loaded with baby ginseng plants, an area I would visit each season to dig a few adults, was logged out about a month ago. And completely strip logged, leaving no tree taller than 6 foot standing. It was very hard to accept that my magic spot is gone forever.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28798

Mortis- I detest a strip logging. It's such a land-rape, IMHO. I'm sure you feel the loss of that 'sang woods.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28805

It's been happening a lot around my area lately. I'll drive down a road that I haven't been down for 6 months, and I notice a huge section of woods missing, and it's all just treetops laying on the ground. And mud everywhere. Nothing will grow there except briar and thorn patches, and even the tiny baby trees that managed to survive will take 20 years before the land even begins the smallest signs of resembling a forest again.

Re:Popularity of Ginseng in the Northeast? 9 years 10 months ago #28895

Welcome to the forum 97! A dealer once told me that NY ginseng was the best quality ginseng. I don't know why. As far as ginseng diggers in the northeast, they are very secretive. I can't understand it myself. If they own the property it's one thing. But to not want to share the fun and excitement and camaraderie with others is unexplainable to me. I read an article about Catskill, NY ginseng and diggers once and the writer wanted them to take them in the woods to show them the plant and they wouldn't. Ridiculous....Obviously, there has to be discernment in choosing folks to go ginseng digging with, however, to act like one owns the woods and the ginseng is sad. That's why I love going digging back home in WV with my uncle, over the years he has invited some people to go digging and has shown them how to be a good steward of the plant. We have a great time and make great memories.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and no members online

Login