2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #2937

Almost looks like Elderberry bush that grows in the same area as Ginseng by us in Wisconsin.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #2943

Frogger, I just can't but help to ask. WHO HAVE YOU BEEN SELLING YOUR SANG TO OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS? Seriously man! If you aint just prankin I hope you can see the humor in this. Im just LMAO. NO OFFENSE INTENDED

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #2947

i take no offense to it and i know i hear lots of people saying it isn't sang i have been selling and hunting sang for years and i have never run across anything that favored sang like this i also dug several pieces today that i know without a doubt are sang they are several 5 prongs going go back tomorrow and take some pics of the plants actually standing in its \"golden color\" the pics of theplant here was dug several days before i knew about this sight but you don't offend me at all but i am currently looking at all options on it because it looks and taste and even smells like sang

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #2948

yes hillbilly does favor the american spiknard can you sell it too or do you know i do know it looks alot like sang after reseraching it on the internet that is what it may be not sure yet

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #2950

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
r o t f l o l

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #3019

This is Spikenard for sure Frogger. In one of the pictures you can see the flower stems with out the berries. The berries ripen in late August. The alternate leaves with the unusaul dark purple stems,it's the real thing. A&W
will be interested in buying from you.
This is a member of the ginseng family(Araliaceae),it's Araia racemosa a plant that I look for to figure soil conditions for sang.
Rootbeer is made from this,and some sore throat meds. Makes a good tea to.

What colour are the berries ...dark purple?

Guy

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 6 months ago #3020

I am not sure of the color of the berries but it was a really large plant. How would i get ahold of A&W to sell it to them?

Thanks

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 5 months ago #3072

• brucem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Hunting Herbs is the Ultimate Personal Experience
This is \"Not\" Gensing, I am sure of that! You could show the picture to a State Botnical Expert where you live and come up with some answer.

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 3 months ago #3283

Definitely not ginseng!!!

It has leaves like wild yam, but the plant shape is different. Since my specialty is redwoods, I'm not going to speculate as to what it is, but I know what it is not, and that is 'sang.

Re:IS THIS GINSENG AND IF IT IS IT IS HUGE 14 years 3 months ago #3284

If it is elderberry, the only edible part is the berry; everything else contains cyanide, including the root - just like rhubarb.

My dad told me when I was a kid, stories about fathers making elderberry whistles for their kids, and the young'uns dying. Took them a long time to realize it was the cyanide in the cambium bark that was doing it.

Unless one is 100% certain of what one is digging and selling, one should never sell it. It reminds me of a story I read in Outdoor Life, back in the 80's:

A group of outdoorsmen were camping in the Northern wilderness. One of them found some wild onions and added them to the stew. Soon afterward, everyone began to puke, including the author. Turns out the \"onions\" were in fact, death camass.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 191 guests and no members online

Login