2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Late winter affect berry bloom?

Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29038

Up in MN there was a very late winter (may) how much will this affect berry bloom for this time of year. In a scouting trip I am not seeing berries ripening as fast as other years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29040

KarlG,
I am a long way from Minnesota but I am growing Minnesota plants here in East Tn. They are ripening here right now so I would think that they would be getting close to blooming in your state. I would not think that they would be ripening there for another month to a month and a half. We had a cold winter here this year and they survived temperatures down to 28 degrees after they had already grown several inches high above the ground. They are hardy so I believe you'll see some berries in the Fall. Good luck.

Hugh

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29045

Here's some NY State berries, And we had a wicked cold long winter
Attachments:

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29046

Some not as far along
Attachments:

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29047

took all three pictures today
Attachments:

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29056

That's what I'm seeing here too rpd a mix of full pods n some still need to fill out in northern NY

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29063

rpdgrump,
Nice pictures of the berry pods. I'm curious as to what the protective net is around the plant in the first picture. I've got some spots in my woodlots that could use some sort of help
Hugh

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29069

Hugh

I have a good population of wild Ginseng on my property. I've been covering a few dozen of the really nice big seed producing plants for the past couple years to protect the berries and keep expanding the wild population on my land. I can't protect every plant but this one is a five prong with over twenty five berries, I really want those strong genes in my population.
Attachments:

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29070

Its nothing more than plastic garden fence from the local big home improvement store. I cut off a piece connect the ends with zip ties and pin it to the ground with small sticks being careful to stay clear of the root. I use a small piece for a lid and it seems to deter deer and has gotten a lot of nice seeds to planting stage. I have a few larger ones for plants that are growing in a group. When the berries get red I plant them roll up the cage and put it in the shed till next year.

I know they're easy for a poacher to spot but so far I've been lucky and I don't have a big security problem here.
Attachments:

Re:Late winter affect berry bloom? 9 years 9 months ago #29072

those looks pretty good

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 419 guests and no members online

Login