2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: highest elevation ginseng grows

highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29942

hello guys just wondering how highup ginseng can grow in my state the highest points only a little over 4000 feet and ginseng grows all the way to the top but i was curious if it grows higher up in other states.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29943

Leebros! wrote:

hello guys just wondering how highup ginseng can grow in my state the highest points only a little over 4000 feet and ginseng grows all the way to the top but i was curious if it grows higher up in other states.

Yes it can and does! I have found and dug Ginseng in the higher mountains of East Tennessee at very close to 4,500 feet in elevation. I wasn't even close to the top of the mountain and from the appearance of the terrain and plants above me, there should be Ginseng even higher. I just have to get the gumption in my' legs and have my' back in better shape to find out. One of these days, I will get me one of the new Bushnell BackTrack HuntTrack GPS Devices, climb the mountain and log the elevation where I find highest growing Ginseng plant.

Frank

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29945

The highest elevation in my County is around 1100' and the low is around 600.

Find most seng below 750' elevation... with just a few exceptions.

No mountains here, just hills and hollows.

Every time I go over to East TN and look at those Mountain hillsides... I think man it would take a fellow forever just to hunt that one hillside. They just go on and on forever. That would be a nice problem to have :-)

TNhunter

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29946

Well Tn,
I would love to have you and Hillhopper come over sometime and show you what a couple of counties look like that have been just about completely rehabilated. There are still spots on certain mountains that need some work, but if you can let your mind just fathom what almost 200,000 new plants will look like coming up next Spring. I have worked tirelessly now for about 6 years all over East Tennessee and I have planted at elevations from 1000feet to 4600 feet. I want to give Hillhopper some credit for sending me some berries from his plantings to help finish up. With things going the way they are presently we may have to wait for awhile to see a time when we can get in these mountains and dig the rewards they will offer. Most of my plantings from this point on will go onto private land, but I do feel like I, at least, left a nice legacy to the mountains where this plant grows so beautifully. May they be dug by some hard working mountain farmers who will need them some rough winter.

Hugh

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29948

it seems like all the ginseng I see in Central Vermont grows between 500 &15 hundred feet doesn't appear that it goes any higher than that at least I have not come across it yet

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29958

Vthunter, I have a few spots at about 2000' in Rutland county.

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29959

Hi maya my name is Mike it seems like ginseng will grow on any hillside regardless of the direction it facesI have also found it at the base of a very steep hills are almost cliff like rock outcroppings where there are a lot of boulders laying on the ground that had fallen off the face in amongst the boulders in between the cracks seems like ginseng likes to hang there

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29962

It seems that in the Appalachian Mountains, Ginseng will grow in many locations, mainly below the normal hardwood (Oaks, Maples, Birch, Beech, Black Walnut, Dogwood, Black Cherry, Hickory, Poplars and I am sure a few other species of trees will grow) tree line (i.e. the upper line on a mountain at which most if not all hardwoods will no longer grow and generally only firs, conifers, Azaleas, Rhododedron and scrub bushes grow). This normal hardwood tree line can vary quite significantly depending upon orientation of the mountain or terrain, viable soils for plants, available moisture, temperatures and winds. Above this line, mainly only Firs and other Conifers, flaming Azaleas, certain Rhododendrons and other scrub type brushes grow and there usually is a lot of dead trees, rock and bare ground. This portion of the mountains are generally exposed to high winds, severe temperature extremes, lack of retained moisture, lack of viable soils and often, exposed to too much sunshine which quickly evaporates much of the retained moisture. Either of these areas of mountains can vary quite significantly within a specific range of mountains within the Appalachians, again depending upon orientation but also whether individual mountains and peaks are wide spread or tightly aligned. Mountains and their' peaks which are somewhat further apart, generally do not experience the more extreme high winds and thus, generally do not experience the extreme cold temperatures since the orographic lifting is less. However, mountains and their' peaks which are very tightly aligned (close to each other) or which have other mountains which may be on either side of a range and fill the gaps between the peaks per see, causes winds to be more extreme due to funneling and thus, generally experience more extreme cold temperatures due to increased orographic lifting. As one can see, the further Northward you travel or live, the lower these areas occurs due to the noted reasons but also because the freezing level of the atmosphere, lowers the further North you travel or live.

Frank

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #29976

vthunter wrote:

Hi maya my name is Mike it seems like ginseng will grow on any hillside regardless of the direction it facesI have also found it at the base of a very steep hills are almost cliff like rock outcroppings where there are a lot of boulders laying on the ground that had fallen off the face in amongst the boulders in between the cracks seems like ginseng likes to hang there

LOL, been there done that. My big ones I posted here before were on a west face on a little rocky outcrop. I need to get back in there I left a few that were in the 15-20 year age. Not sure but I think it's about 1500' in elevation. The oldest one I ever found (63 yo I think) was at the bottom of a steep ravine. Good luck!

Re:highest elevation ginseng grows 9 years 7 months ago #30063

Hi everyone I went out yesterday and found around 30 more plants I left them alone for now. the tops are starting to turn yellow pretty good in my area. finding these plants gets in your blood similar to whitetail hunting its all I can think about it seems like no matter how tired my legs are I can rest 10 minutes and walk for another 2 hours.I am running across various other plants but one in particular with a stem with five or six very white berries in a separated bunch does anyone know what this is. judging by the windows in my house they are soaking wet on the outside looks like a very humid day don't know if I'll go out today

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 276 guests and no members online

Login