2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Poacher Sentenced to Jail

Poacher Sentenced to Jail 9 years 7 months ago #29970

Came across this news about poacher in N.C.

news.msn.com/crime-justice/feds-jail-gin...ild-plants-face-risk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Poacher Sentenced to Jail 9 years 7 months ago #29971

That is a shame.

But, every time you read about ginseng they want you to believe it wont be around in the future. I think it is nearly impossible to dig an area to where there wont be enough shang to grow back in a few years to being a good patch again. Jail time seems a little harsh. I don't like people digging out of season, but the ones who seem so concerned with the plants survival seem to be harder on it than poachers by allowing over logging an area or strip mining etc.

Re:Poacher Sentenced to Jail 9 years 7 months ago #29982

According to the news article this was the fifth time in a decade that Hurley has been sentenced for illegal possession or harvesting of ginseng. Of course we don't know the circumstances surrounding those other incidents or if there were other incidents where he didn't get caught. Whether harsh or not at least he had fair warning of the consequences. Sounds like all his poaching finally came back on him.

What I found interesting was that the feds are dying the roots to make them unmarketable. This is the first I have heard of this practice. I assume they are only doing this in the GSMNP.

Re:Poacher Sentenced to Jail 9 years 7 months ago #30022

Hang em high, one of the three dealers in Iowa finally got nailed after a year long investigation into him poaching trespassing and raiding others stuff. Including mine. Do it right or face the consequences.
thegazette.com/2013/02/10/high-ginseng-p...s-tempt-lawbreakers/

Re:Poacher Sentenced to Jail 9 years 7 months ago #30123

If he got caught doing it 5 times, I'd wager he didn't get caught doing it 500 times. Laws are laws, if you knowing break them repeatedly, you get what's coming to you.

I've heard of the root dying in State Parks or National Forests where digging is prohibited.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 610 guests and no members online

Login