2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Ginseng season has begun!

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30203

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30222

nice 4 prong 5! Hope u get out more than u think u'll b able to this year. u hear anything from Billie? Chompn at the bit to hear from ky. wanna c more from u soon!

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30227

5prong,

That is a really nice root and 4 prong top! Did you get a weight on that root yet? Congrats and I hope you find a dig a lot more like that one!

By the way, I deleted all the extra posts where you tried to post the pics but nothing was in them.

Frank

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30255

Very nice 5prong

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30256

huntsman53 wrote:

5prong,

That is a really nice root and 4 prong top! Did you get a weight on that root yet? Congrats and I hope you find a dig a lot more like that one!

By the way, I deleted all the extra posts where you tried to post the pics but nothing was in them.

Frank

Thanks Frank! That root weighed in at 1.85 ounces.... just about as heavy as anything I have ever dug in OHIO...
There are 3 other plants in the same area where I dug that one with tops about the same size... The berries were still green and they were in a very difficult to dig spot. It is also one of those places where its almost impossible for someone else to stumble upon... 2 of them are 4 prongs and the other was a 3, but all of them are tall thick stemmed plants with big berry pods :) perhaps I'll go back and snap a pic or 2 now that I've figured out how to get my pics uploaded. Thanks to the other guys for the compliments too!

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30258

5prong wrote:

huntsman53 wrote:

5prong,

Frank

Thanks Frank! That root weighed in at 1.85 ounces.... just about as heavy as anything I have ever dug in OHIO...
There are 3 other plants in the same area where I dug that one with tops about the same size... The berries were still green and they were in a very difficult to dig spot. It is also one of those places where its almost impossible for someone else to stumble upon... 2 of them are 4 prongs and the other was a 3, but all of them are tall thick stemmed plants with big berry pods :) perhaps I'll go back and snap a pic or 2 now that I've figured out how to get my pics uploaded. Thanks to the other guys for the compliments too!

That is some weight to that root! I would bet that the others are just as big and heavy or maybe even bigger and heavier. Sure would like to see pics of them! Have you checked above them for even bigger seng? They had to come from somewhere, although it may have been from bird droppings but I always check if possible. Just remember to not only scan the first two feet above the ground and look for tops standing above waist height and sometimes even much higher. A 5 foot or taller Ginseng top is really hard to spot as it looks like a tree and even at only chest height, they are still hard to spot.

Frank

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30365

Well, I went back out to that spot and crawled through the briars and multiflora rose bushes to snap a few pics for y'all:)
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30366

Attachments:

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30367

Man 5prong u must b part mountain goat to climb that 90° slope in the first pic lol:laugh: still those are very nice plants

Re:Ohio Ginseng season has begun! 9 years 7 months ago #30368

Three seeds in this berry! I haven't seen that often in wild plants in my area...
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 180 guests and no members online

Login