2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Ginseng

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30220

Clay sorry for the confusion,
I just noticed most all of the necks are the same size around 5 years old and you also stated that you \"harvested\" them. That term is used more by growers than hunters. i was not aware of the laws of ohio being different from tenessee so i learned something. Looks like you have the growing part down good. Nothing wrong with wild-simulated, thats what im growing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30223

laytoncae,

If it has not already been stated, I want to welcome you to the Wildgrown forums! Those are some decent Wild Simulated roots that you all dug. I am sorry to hear that you are having to dig them up due to the property being sold! If at all possible and you have another place for the roots, I would advise to transplant as many roots as possible into the wild, let them grow on their own without any soil amendments and human intervention if at all possible. If they do well, then in 5 to 10 years, you should have some really nice sized roots that have taken on more of the wild characteristics. However, if the roots that were already harvested, were not kept moist and since there is no soil to speak of from where they were dug, they will probably not be good candidates for transplanting and should be sold.

Good luck on the harvesting and anything you may plan for the future!

Frank

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30225

Those are great looking roots for Ohio wild-sim. Soils don't grow them like that where I am in Ohio

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30252

Thanks guys! Picture from last year...

Attachments:

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30285

Brad, how much do you think roots like that would go for?BCastle wrote:

laytoncae,

I don't think anyone is trying to get on your case there. Just pointing out that there is a vast difference in this day and age in finding that many wild plants in a day vs. digging a patch of wild sim in a day.

I would recommend you to let your patches go about 10 years or so before digging them and then only dig the largest of the roots. This way, you will always have large, high quality ginseng to dig, and the age classes will be mixed.'

The thing I first noticed was all the root hair on those roots. This is often a sign of ginseng that has had amendments or fertilizer. The lack of age will likely hurt you when you try to sell these roots. Best of luck with them.

And, as for legality, here in Ohio we do not at this point have an age restriction (though it may be coming soon). But, in some other states a plant must show evidence of a certain age (regardless of its actual known age). Some of those look lacking in the neck which would cause legality issues for dealers in some states.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30323

lenno wrote:

Brad, how much do you think roots like that would go for?

Hey Lenno,

Wow, kinda put me on the spot there didn't ya :laugh:

I'll not post prices as we have seen in years past that is just a bad idea for everyone. And frankly, the prices I've seen posted so far are from some world I've never been to...but I hope to go there.

I also don't want to insult the digger/grower. In this case, he has offered what I believe is a very justifiable reason for digging some of these roots a little early in my opinion.

However, I do see this as an early season opportunity to educate some newer diggers who might be watching at home.

So, let me tell you what I've noticed about the lot as whole. First off, there are no long necks in the lot. There are a lot of fine roots. The size is uncertain as there is no scale to measure size by. Always put a dollar bill down under/by the ginseng for scale. When we come to shape, I think the lot has a lower percentage of high value shapes (bulbs and bullets) and a high percentage of low value shapes (pencils and forked roots).

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30333

laytoncae wrote:

Thanks guys! Picture from last year...

Looking at the picture you can tell it is young seng at 4 to 5 years old from ordered seed. Leaves really thin and pale paper like. In the wild you'll never see a 3 prong as young as 5 year old ,most of the time. In most cases it takes anywhere from 7 to 10 years. Seng may stay a 2 prong for 10 or more years. I just think 5 years is too young.

What this seng is worth would be hard to say.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30343

Brad, sorry I didn't really mean to put you on the spot. Just curious as what percent of wild price one could expect from a lot like that, but I understand why you dont want to say.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30356

Todays harvest....

over 7ft long on the board, tried to put a tape measure in there and some yard sticks for reference. Also included some of the smallest 3 prongs with tops for the haters...lol
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30358

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and no members online

Login