2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What type of place did you find your biggest root?

What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30378

Ill start off mine was in an old burnout that had burned three consecative years in the past it was high on the ridge in an open spot it probily was getting to much sun but the quality was ok it weighed 11 ozs most of the bigger roots ive found have been near or on rocks any way would like to hear from you guys to see if theres a common pattern to where roots grow the biggest thanks guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30381

Found my biggest one on a wooded hillside lol :D

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30385

Well where it should not have been. Weighed 10 oz green had 5 three prong tops and they was not another ginseng plant in a mile. strange my dad had a similar experience. his was a four prong weighing 12 oz green and we have never found any ginseng in that holler period.It had 50 red berries on it and stood over 3 ft high.

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30391

On the right side of a hollow probably not more 100 yards off a fairly well traveled road. Couldn't weigh it since we did not have scales and we were young (only 17) but the root would not fit down into a bushel basket.

Frank

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30395

Within 20' of a clear-cut power line right of way.

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30396

On a ridge next to a river 4.8 Oz's (still looking for my monster)

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30397

Every big on I find is in that black loamy soil around boulders. Usually on a steep face. This is where this one grew. Just dug out the soil here and didn't move the root at all. All dug by hand, no tools needed. 4-5 oz's I think.
Attachments:

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30413

Nice root maya! I have dug a few big roots growing in similar situation around rocks and big boulders.

Frank

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30419

Beautiful root!! congratulations!! over the last 42 yrs. digging root the best areas i routinely dig 8- 10 oz. roots are in old clear cut hollers in the center or out skirts of huge briers!! and my largest root was dug in a rocky out crop as such....these are very good areas but nothing close to briers up here in the north, Vermont, N.Y. and P.A. have a safe season!!

Re:What type of place did you find your biggest root? 9 years 7 months ago #30842

I don't recall if it was the biggest, but it was definitely the oldest. 2 dirt roads intersected right over a very narrow, very deep hollow that turned into the road ditch a little further down. This hollow was no more than 20 foot across the top, but over 30 feet deep. More like a gorge than a hollow. I parked right at the intersection, walked along the top of the gorge about 10 steps in off the road, and I saw a medium sized little 3 prong top. Dug it up, and counted over 60 growth scars on the neck. That was the only plant I found in that area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 188 guests and no members online

Login