2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: North Carolina High Country Seng

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #32921

Congrats on a great day and thanks for the posts those are some nice pics

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #32949

Oh man... that is some beautiful woods and forest floor.

Fine looking ginseng too.

Wish mine was still up.

TNhunter

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #32997

Here is a 2oz root from yesterday, Had a hard time getting this one
out of the ground, Only found 4 plants and they were just stems, after the rain we have had today
I believe I will end the year with that root since I dug it last, right before I got rained out.
Just glad I was able and blessed to get out and enjoy the beautiful NC Mountains again.
Attachments:

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #33050

NCmountaindigger wrote:

Another pic of the big plant, the berry stem came to my chest when I was standing on the downhill side of it.

Wow what a root!

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #33051

You had a good harvest this year!

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #33120

Thanks, it was a good year. I may try to get out one more time on Saturday, but I don't have very high hopes of finding anything after the storm that come through this week with over 5 inches of rain and 40 to 50 mph winds. So I guess from this point I will just wait on roots to dry and hopefully watch prices climb some up until Thanksgiving week when I normally sale. Wish I had even more time to hunt than I do, but I'm thankful for the time I do get out because I know the kids drive my wife crazy while I'm out, but she don't complain much when the money comes in. I usually get out for 6 or 7 hours on Saturday, 4 or 5 hours on Sunday afternoon, and usually try to get a couple hours in after work one weekday throughout the season. I should end up with between about 4 and 4 and a half lbs depending on drying ratios, seems like roots have been drying at very high rates this year, most of my earlier roots were drying at 4 to 1 if not more, I usually figure on around 3.6 to 1 and some of the last trips of the year can usually get down as low as 3 to 1. Hope everybody else had a good and enjoyable season also.

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #33190

I got out for a little while Saturday in what will be my last hunt of the year, I found this relatively healthy looking plant about 10 minutes into my hunt and got my hopes up that maybe the storm didn't hurt things as bad as I thought it would.
Attachments:

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 6 months ago #33191

I found another one not far from the first one and then this one my third and final root of the season, there was just barely any remnants left of this 3 prong. I then walked into 4 different areas that I would normally spend a full day in apiece, but I never found another plant. It stinks when this day comes every season, but it's got to happen for me to finally give up and hang up the digger for another year.
Attachments:

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 5 months ago #33833

Well I gave in and sold today, normally I have always sold the week of Thanksgiving, but I had to give in a little early this year due to the wife's Christmas shopping trip this weekend. I ended up with 4.54 lbs and I got 830 dollars a pound. I was pleased with the results, as nice as it was to get 1200 dollars a pound last year I think it spoiled all of us and 830 is actually one of the best prices I've ever sold for outside of last year, I think it was just about 3 or 4 years ago I sold for 530 a lb. I think 830 is where prices had peaked here earlier this year here before the bottom dropped out of it, so I was happy to at least get back to that level before selling because I was beginning to think it wouldn't get there. Hope everyone else that is still holding on is able to get a price that you are happy with, good luck to everyone.

Re:North Carolina High Country Seng 9 years 5 months ago #33859

NC...

Nothing at all wrong with 830.00 - Congrats on a good year and a very good price (for this year).

Here in Middle TN our dealers are not talking so good. One of the 3 I usually sell to, has quit buying, one has dropped his price from 630.00 down to 520.00 and another is offering 635.00. I will probably sell tomorrow for 635.00

If it was slow climbing and seemed sort of steady I would hold on longer.. but our Dealers are all sort of spooked and seem to be going the wrong direction.

I sold a bunch in the late 70's and 80's for 200-300.00 range... so I can sure deal with 635.00.

I would really be happy with your 830.00 offer but that is not happening this year in Middle TN anyway...

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas !

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 455 guests and no members online

Login