2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Giving up 4 the season

Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31688

This is picture from my last 3 hunts every where I go someone else has been. Tired of picking up poacher scraps.I have 11 oz dry and hope these will put me over 1 pound and 3 oz when dry.I walked these woods since spring and thought 4 sure I would have 4 to 5 pounds dry.Guess I under estimated the poachers in my area.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31689

Attachments:

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31690

I hate it when you go somewhere that you think no poacher would go that far out of their way to dig and before you know it you are on a poachers path littered with beer cans and ginseng tops.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31694

Oh yeah they are these two also they were growing side by side and tangled together so I kept them that way.
Attachments:

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31696

Yep I drink when I hunt but not beer and I dont leave no trash behind that is bullshit . If you tote it in you can tote it back out. That is one of my pet peves.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31697

Yep I drink when I hunt but not beer and I dont leave no trash behind that is bullshit . If you tote it in you can tote it back out. That is one of my pet peves.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31700

I think anytime you get over a pound dry for the season is pretty darn good. I hunt every chance I get where there are no poachers and usually end up with around a pound dry give or take. It takes a lot of roots to make a dry pound unless you're finding a bunch of big ones. I've never heard of any one person finding 4 to 5 pounds dry in a season unless they have a partner and are putting their roots together. 4 to 5 pounds dry is a hell of a lot of roots. The season just isn't that long to accumulate that much unless you got lucky and found it growing like wildfire somewhere.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31702

nice sang wish mine averaged that good. around here its trading parking places but i just try to out walk and out smart them . boy i hate when they stick up the tops though

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31706

wildspirit44 I dig on average of 5 pounds every year and there are several in my area that digs more than that. My hunting buddy dug 18 pounds one year and not 1 root was before season. There are a couple others on here from my area that dig that much. I took a picture of one years dig just before I sold it and it was right at 8 1/2 pounds. Just todays dig in about 2 1/2 hour I dug 26 oz and seen about a 1000 2 and 3 prongs for next year or later. I walk were no one wants to go and rabbits will not enter.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 6 months ago #31711

illinoisdigger, I actually just did some simple math here and it is very possible to get 5 pounds dry in a season. Assuming you have decent size roots for the most part it would roughly take 1000 roots to make 5 pounds dry correct me if i'm wrong. If you hunted from the 1st of September through the last day of October everyday you would only have to harvest roughly 16 roots a day to get 5 pounds dry. If you just went 30 times and harvested an average of 33 roots a hunt you could get there, 15 times 66 roots and so on. So, I do see how it could be possible. I retract some of previous post. Of course you would have to have the time and determination.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 88 guests and no members online

Login