2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Seng'n In The Rain

Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32369

Went out today and took a gamble on the rain. It poured on me early and quit around 1pm. Didn't find a ton of plants, but dug some good quality roots. It's suppose to get colder tonight. I'm gonna hit it hard the next couple of days. If you're in Tennessee or surrounding areas don't give up yet there's still a lot of green out there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32370

Nice four.
Attachments:

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32372

You can see the change in color right now in east Tennessee, but It's not over yet! Some were completely yellow and laying down while others were green as can be with full berry pods.
Attachments:

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32373

fall contrast of color
Attachments:

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32374

Looks like here a few weeks ago. The 3\" of rain over the last 36 hours here have beat the yellow off that were still hanging on. I'd say I'm lucky if 10% still have some green left to them. Those are generally the ones tucked into a fern or edge of a bush. So I'm to strictly planting now. Gotta try my new seeder more heavily tomorrow. 52 will be our high with a low of 36 already. Here come the falling leaves. Get it while you still can and I hope the gettings good!!!

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32375

GMC, I was very surprised at how many were still that green and with berries to boot. I'm pretty good at spotting the yellow ones laid over to. Gotta hit it hard for sure with colder temperatures coming in. Good luck with the planting!

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32378

I also went today here in eastern kentucky it came a downpour at one point I had to pull out some paracord and an emergency blanket, I found a leaning tree and made a quick shelter and used my mattock for a seat handle down. I found about 14 three prongs only a few were green. Also found about 5 pound of chicken of the woods. It was a peaceful day to be out I thought I was the only one. Nice four!!

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32379

thanks Hawk, There's still a few of us crazies out there. We can't be to picky this late in the season. A little rain never hurt anyone. I ginseng hunt in bear country and when it started to pour down the rain I hurried back to the jeep to put my gun up so it wouldn't get wet. Finished hunting the morning with just my knife, not the best feeling but black bears aren't usually aggressive. Usually that is, :ohmy:

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32385

hate wet feet but not going to quit till the last leaf falls i can see better on a cloudy day anyway no sun in the eyes going to dry the old boots and hit it again tomarrow good luck fellows

Re:Seng'n In The Rain 9 years 5 months ago #32387

It's suppose to be nice tomorrow here. The high around 60 and sunshine, doesn't get much better than that. I'm gonna make a day out of it, good luck to everyone in the final run of the season. May the ginseng gods be with you.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Who's Online

We have 476 guests and no members online

Login