2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: end of your season compared to normal?

end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32606

Hello guys ive noticed some of you are done for the year and was wondering if you season was over early or normal and if early by how much. im still digging but it looks like it will go quite a bit earlier then normal.the main reason i ask is the best ginseng often comes in at the last of season and if season ends say two weeks early it might impact production enough to help the price later own if the early season dig turns out not to be as big as dealers think might help us all in the end

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32608

Hello leebros, apparently the season is ending short for a lot of people. I read a lot of everything is yellow and died off or just about gone type of stuff. In the mountains of east tennessee there is still a lot of ginseng to be had or at least in my neck of the woods. The trees have even hardly changed in most part, except for way up in the park. I went yesterday to a new spot i've been eyeing on some of my past hunts. I made one bad mistake. I DIDN'T CHECK THE WEATHER! I got up there and started my way down the ridge to my new spot and within literally 5 minutes I eyed a nice 3 prong and within 20 yards of it there was 3 more 4 prongs all of them still green with hardly even any yellow on them. It seemed the bugs had taken more of a toll than the weather. Then came the thunder and then the lightning. So, what looked like a potentially killer day turned short, but I'm going back wednesday hopefully the dreadful wind and rain didn't change the scenario to bad. I hunt in the rain but not the lightning. I have found the bulk of my nicer roots late so that will probably mean late october or november before everything's dry and ready. Hopefully by then the price will be peaking. It seems last year I hunted through mid october so I guess about the same here.

Re:end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32614

I think here in my County (Southern Middle TN)... it is going to be over soon.

Probably a week or so earlier than usual.

All I have found the past 2-3 trips has been yellow, and many very pale yellow (almost white), and finding them with prongs fallen off and stuff like that. Very few berries left on now too.

A good hard rain or wind will flatten out most of those and then they will be done for.

I am going to hunt this Saturday... and I expect that after that.. it will be somewhat questionable to go. I probably will anyway, just love finding those yellow beauties.

TNhunter

Re:end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32638

My season ended mostly due to my wood cutting business got to get it cut for next year. I've been watching my wild transplants I could have gone a few weeks more but the cold nights mostly low 40s really done them in now they r all gone I bet there's a few more out there but hunting season is upon me now. I would say its about two weeks earlier this yr.

Re:end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32661

Our season was a little longer this year due to the last 3 previous years being drought conditions with last year being not quite as bad. Ended our season on Oct. 3rd
Leaves are all falling heavily now. still some green/ greenish yellow plants out there but with 90%-95% of the plants gone we don't bother with those remaining 5-10% that have survived to this point as the yield for a day is just to low.

Re:end of your season compared to normal? 9 years 6 months ago #32663

The first weekend of October is the start of bow season for deer and moose here in Vermont. It's time to get some venison in the freezer. Also leaves are falling from trees and plants are yellow and laying down. I'm always done by now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 334 guests and no members online

Login