2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: NC Deep Holler Hunting Today

NC Deep Holler Hunting Today 9 years 5 months ago #33329

Well, as I stated in another thread I went out late last night (bout 2.5 hrs before dusk) and went to the very top of the mountain behind my house and found 15 big sang plants (4 oz). In the rock cliffs, all yellow and laying over. So I wanted to try an experiment. My wife n I went out for 6 hours and walked 12.5 miles alongside the middle mountain in a few deep hollers. We discovered that way up high there were the yellow as ever plants, middle the plants were green with yellow hints standing straight up (found 5 with full berries) and below everything was dead as hell. We came home with 7 oz and 40 roots. I think I will go out one more time this weekend and call it a seasons end. Hope you all still are sangin and had a good season.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:NC Deep Holler Hunting Today 9 years 5 months ago #33330

Glad you are still finding some.

It is gone here now... actually a couple weekends ago I hunted some really good hollows and found next to nothing (5 plants yellow to brown) compared to what should have been there.

Get it while you can.

TNhunter

Re:NC Deep Holler Hunting Today 9 years 5 months ago #33331

TNhunter wrote:

Glad you are still finding some.

It is gone here now... actually a couple weekends ago I hunted some really good hollows and found next to nothing (5 plants yellow to brown) compared to what should have been there.

Get it while you can.

TNhunter

I am sorry to hear that. The weather came out of no where here as well. All the trees are bright colors or dead...mostly dead. The ground is nothing but leaves and the yellow sang sticks out from far away. There is not as much as I should be finding this time of year. We are due our first frost next week...sucks. But like I said this was an experiment of some sorts. We expected to find absolutely nothing. I am debating on whether or not to try to go out this weekend. In 12 miles we yielded very little. The beginning of the season we would walk 2-3 miles and find 2 lbs wet.... big difference.

Re:NC Deep Holler Hunting Today 9 years 5 months ago #33344

Root I found the other night off a four prong in a rock cliff. I counted 72 bud scars... oldie but goodie...

Re:NC Deep Holler Hunting Today 9 years 5 months ago #33426

The reason why they yellowed in that way depending on elevation is because the way the mountains cool off. Up high things cool off faster because if increased exposure. However the cold air is heavier and quickly descends down the mountain and accumulates in the valleys. The plants on the slope kind of sit in a happy medium area where they don't cool off fast and the cold air doesn't accumulate. This is a good hard and fast rule when the air is pretty calm. The USDA tried to take this effect in to account on their new(ish) hardiness zone map, but I think they failed miserably, at least for my area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 296 guests and no members online

Login