2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it too late?

Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33432

Hello all! I'm new to ginseng and was wondering when the leaves and stem fall off the plant. When is it too late to spot ginseng in southern Indiana? We've had a light frost but the first hard frost isn't for a few days yet. I've been told a few different things and thought I would ask the experts on here ;)
Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33434

Welcome to the forum arbasham. Well, I don't consider myself an expert, but in a nutshell yes it is to late this year to make it worth your while i'm afraid. Usually, in most suitable areas of ginseng habitat you can effectively hunt it from Sept 1st through about mid to late October given you haven't had cold snaps, rain, wind, etc. Unfortunately, the ginseng season is so short you have to hit it really good through Sept and first few weeks of October. Although, you can find a few stragglers this time of year I don't think you will find a whole lot left, but it's a good reason to get out in the woods. It's the most beautiful time of the year! Good luck on your future hunts.

Re:Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33444

I did my last hunt here in Middle TN on Oct 11... I hunted 5 nice hollows that I know have seng in them and found only 4 plants that still had tops up that were digging size. I quit for the year after that hunt.

We had a long dry spell late Sept early Oct and I think that put ours down and out a little earlier this year than normal.

TNhunter

Re:Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33448

Like you said, TNHUnter, the lack of rain in early fall here put many of my plants down early. I was thinking that it would make it hard on diggers this year.

Abraham- t think that what wildspirit44 is sound advice.

Re:Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33487

No one in my area (northern PA) has seen a plant standing in over 3 weeks. They all went to bed early this year.

Re:Is it too late? 9 years 5 months ago #33503

The plants are hiding from the \"American Outlaw\" types!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 368 guests and no members online

Login