2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scouting

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35363

Thanks VAhunter, I appreciate your response back and I have heard good things about the etrex so I'll probably buy one. Good luck this year and watch out for Sam and his gang LOL.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35426

I have an APP on my phone that I can mark the ginseng and other promising finds along the way. I can make comments as to what I have seen yearling plants, 3 prongs, etc. I can also mark deer trails and other sign to use during hunting season.

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35469

Hey Tazman, If you don't mind me asking, which ap do you use? I have a cheaper model gps that I use to mark crappie beds but I think a phone would be much quicker and I like the idea of keeping notes.

Thanks.

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35484

John, I use a hunting AP it is Trimble GPS hunt free. I usually have cell service where I go and it enables me to set waypoints, targets so I can set found several juvenile plants, or if out scouting put whatever comments I want.

This AP is free but I am going to purchase the Pro version just so I can preprogram a map for me to follow. I hope this helps and let me know if you like it.

God bless,

David

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35519

Thanks again David.

Turns out I don't get enough service (only 1-2 bars) to mark a waypoint where I have ginseng, but I think this ap will be better for marking the crappie beds than my gps.

Re:Scouting 8 years 9 months ago #35861

Attachments:

Re:Scouting 8 years 9 months ago #35904

it's been my experience that the smart phone gps's I've had aren't quite accurate enough to get one close enough to the waypoint I've marked.

Re:Scouting 8 years 9 months ago #35905

Agreed. I definitely prefer my Etrex 20. However, I'm still learning how to use everything. Like the compass. I've got other means of knowing direction, but I'd just like to use that one. Also, I don't think the Etrex will show what direction your pointing accurately..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 639 guests and no members online

Login